News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer (v2015) diode voltage question

Started by somnif, July 12, 2016, 12:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

I am populating my Kingslayer board (working with this thin board material is strange, I keep feeling like my fat fingers are going to shatter it) and I have a question about diodes.

I have 2 1N34a's on hand (D3 and D4), but they have quite different voltages. One is about 0.3v the other about 0.42. Should the two be matched? I can order more if need be, but I'm just curious.

Also, for the other two diodes (D1 and D2) what are some suggestions? Silicon or germanium? I know the build doc mentions 3mm red diffuse but are other colors/sizes/conditions viable? I fully admit I am fairly new to parts sourcing and mostly order from Tayda, and haven't yet gotten a "feel" of how various components play together.

Thanks!

BrianS

The LEDs are normally much louder than the germaniums.  You can always socket your diodes and play around with them.  I don't pay that much attention to the colors and how they clip (my hearing is pretty much shot) and one circuit can sound completely different with red LEDs from another. I don't know if you have any of these sockets (link below) but if you do solder them in and then you can change out your diodes and see what sounds good to you.

As far as matching the 134's most of the time the build doc will let you know if that is necessary.

My advice again is to socket the diodes and you can experiment with what you have on hand (3mm/5mm LEDs/different colors and the multitude of silicon diodes). Sound is very subjective, as you know.  What I may think sounds great may not sound so good to you.  But with the sockets you can fool around with the clipping pretty quick if you're not liking what you hear.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/30-pin-dip-sip-ic-sockets-adaptor-solder-type.html

madbean

The germs being different forward voltages will mean a slight asymmetrical clipping. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you have a bunch of them it certainly doesn't hurt to find a closer matching pair but I wouldn't sweat it, if not.

As BrianS said, the LEDs will be much louder and a lot crunchier sounding. I like em for clipping in most every OD. But, you could more closely match the different volumes in clipping by using 1N4001 or even 1n914. They will still be different sounding than germaniums.

somnif

Thanks for the advice! I was mostly curious as to types of diodes so I could know what to order from Tayda to play with. Now I have some ideas!

BrianS

Here is a link that will give you some really great info on different diodes.  Cody (Self Destroyer) and Jon (Midwayfair) are both members on here and are really smart.  Jon's diode listing covers what each diode he reviewed will sound like. Hope this will help you out. But be warned, it could start you on a journey trying to locate some of them, LOL (it did me).  Paul who runs DIYGP (link is in header above) has several on the list and he is a really great guy. 

http://music.codydeschenes.com/?p=1615