News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Karate Shop Wiring Question

Started by ddavis20341, July 06, 2016, 02:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddavis20341

Hey all,

First-time builder here, been admiring madbean's stuff for a while and finally decided to get my feet wet. I finished a Karate Shop build a couple of days ago, but I haven't been able to get any sound out of the pedal.  At first all I got was silence, with the pedal engaged or bypassed, and after re-soldering a wire now I just get a loud buzzing whenever the pedal is plugged in, still no guitar sound both engaged and bypassed.

I followed the wiring diagram and can't seem to see anything wrong with the switching assembly (since I'm not getting any sound at all, I understood this to be a switching problem), other than some char on the outside of a few wires. I'll post pics below, but if anyone has any idea what's wrong it would really be appreciated.

madbean

When testing outside of an enclosure, you need to ground the sleeves of both jacks. Inside the enclosure you only need to ground one because the enclosure itself acts as a ground. That may be why you are getting nothing out.

jtaormina

Quote from: madbean on July 06, 2016, 03:07:10 PM
When testing outside of an enclosure, you need to ground the sleeves of both jacks. Inside the enclosure you only need to ground one because the enclosure itself acts as a ground. That may be why you are getting nothing out.

Take the ground lug of your output jack and add a wire to the food switch on either end of your tiny yellow wire.

ddavis20341

Great! Added a ground outside of the enclosure and it worked, and then boxed it up and it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for the help, I am really digging this pedal.

Cheers!

jtaormina

Quote from: ddavis20341 on July 08, 2016, 01:11:58 PM
Great! Added a ground outside of the enclosure and it worked, and then boxed it up and it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for the help, I am really digging this pedal.

Cheers!

Glad to hear. Enjoy bud.