News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

High end helping hands

Started by Timko, May 30, 2016, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I've had a basic $5 helping hands since I started building pedals last year, and the center screw has stared to strip to the point that it won't hold up anything of weight (like a PCB when I'm trying to populate it).  I looked on Amazon, and noticed that there are some very expensive helping hands (around $50) that have 4 super flexible arms connected to a metal base.  The 2 I found are called QuadHands and Hobby Creek Helping Hands.  From an engineering standpoint, each hand acts independently of the other hands, which seems like a much better design.  I used my Helping Hands quite a bit, but spent a lot of time fiddling around to get it into the right position.  I'm also starting to populate entire types of components (like resistors) at once then solder them instead of doing one component at a time, so I feel like I need a solid tool to hold my board while I put the parts in it.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts on this, I would love to hear them.  While $50 is a lot of money for something like this, I could see myself using it a lot.

galaxiex

I just found those. Look very handy, pun intended.  ;)

My concern would be how long before those "stiff" socket type arms start to loosen, and could they be re-tensioned?

I suspect that even just one or 2 loose joints could make them frustrating.

I see they sell just a single arm for $4.99. maybe just get a couple of those to try out?

You could maybe fasten them to any sort of base that you have?

Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

Stomptown

Quote from: galaxiex on May 30, 2016, 11:54:42 PM

My concern would be how long before those "stiff" socket type arms start to loosen, and could they be re-tensioned?

I see they sell just a single arm for $4.99. maybe just get a couple of those to try out?

I would suggest a small bench to vice like this:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-2-3-4-in-Swiveling-Vacuum-Base-Vise-BV-VB/204986244?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Tools%7C&gclid=CMeiqLSAg80CFUw6gQodangMyA&gclsrc=aw.ds

And some Blu-tack in place of the helping hands.  If your not familiar with the stuff you should search the forum for info.  It is amazing how useful the stuff is.  I use it to hold components, wires, PCBs, etc in place when in soldering.  It won't melt and can be used repeatedly.  IIRC, the stuff chromosphere suggested way back is the best (not positive on the brand name).  You have to buy it online but one pack will last years.   Honestly, the stuff s do good you can even skip the vice if it's out of your budget. 

EBRAddict

chromesphere

I don't know what my LIFE would be without blu tack...

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

galaxiex

Quote from: Stomptown on May 31, 2016, 12:10:15 AM

http://m.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-2-3-4-in-Swiveling-Vacuum-Base-Vise-BV-VB/204986244?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Tools%7C&gclid=CMeiqLSAg80CFUw6gQodangMyA&gclsrc=aw.ds

And some Blu-tack in place of the helping hands.  If your not familiar with the stuff you should search the forum for info.  It is amazing how useful the stuff is.  I use it to hold components, wires, PCBs, etc in place when in soldering.  It won't melt and can be used repeatedly.  IIRC, the stuff chromosphere suggested way back is the best (not positive on the brand name).  You have to buy it online but one pack will last years.   Honestly, the stuff s do good you can even skip the vice if it's out of your budget.

Ya, I was merely commenting for the benefit of the OP.
What I meant when I said "I just found those"  was to indicate I searched for them, as the OP didn't provide a link.

No harm, no foul.  :)

I have the Elmers equivalent of Blu-tack. Been using it for years.

Also have a small vise and a couple different helping hands devices.

The Hobby Creek arms look like they would have uses other than PCB assembly.
I have a weakness for tools and gadgets.  ;)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

nzCdog

These are my two main solder aids these days.  I have a set of cheap 'helping hands' also. 
Reverse action tweezers, amazing how handy they can be reaching into all sorts of places and holding things.  Also a pair of conjoined alligator clips... hold things together easier.  Lofi but awesome  8)

chromesphere

Quote from: nzCdog on May 31, 2016, 03:30:17 AM

These are my two main solder aids these days.  I have a set of cheap 'helping hands' also. 
Reverse action tweezers, amazing how handy they can be reaching into all sorts of places and holding things.  Also a pair of conjoined alligator clips... hold things together easier.  Lofi but awesome  8)

And to think I have 2 Erem reverse action tweezers that haven't come out of the box yet....  ::)  Time to do something about that...
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

Quote from: chromesphere on May 31, 2016, 01:28:36 AM

+1 on this -- blu tack is one of THE most important soldering aids you'll ever buy.

My helping hands only get brought out when I'm trying to solder-sucker a plated through hole, and I need something to hold the PCB upright.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

Quote from: galaxiex on May 31, 2016, 02:42:10 AM
Quote from: Stomptown on May 31, 2016, 12:10:15 AM

Ya, I was merely commenting for the benefit of the OP.
What I meant when I said "I just found those"  was to indicate I searched for them, as the OP didn't provide a link.

No harm, no foul.  :)

I have the Elmers equivalent of Blu-tack. Been using it for years.

Also have a small vise and a couple different helping hands devices.

The Hobby Creek arms look like they would have uses other than PCB assembly.
I have a weakness for tools and gadgets.  ;)

Lol.  I actually meant to quote/comment on the OP so sorry for the confusion.  ::)

Stomptown

Quote from: alanp on May 31, 2016, 04:54:11 AM
Quote from: chromesphere on May 31, 2016, 01:28:36 AM

+1 on this -- blu tack is one of THE most important soldering aids you'll ever buy.

My helping hands only get brought out when I'm trying to solder-sucker a plated through hole, and I need something to hold the PCB upright.

I even use the Blu tack for using the solder sucker.  Then again my typical build is about a tenth the size of your typical build!!

Drew Hallenbeck

http://www.amazon.com/Aven-17010-Adjustable-Circuit-Holder/dp/B01AWN916I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464706931&sr=8-1&keywords=pcb+vise

I got one of these a while back. Works great and I use it for just about every board I build. Jaws can be rotated to hold boards horizontally or vertically. I just pop the components in and bend the legs slightly so they won't fall out when I flip the board over. Solder, trim off leads, load next bunch of parts, repeat until it's done.
I also have a set of the cheap helping hands that do get used occasionally. I don't think I'd ever get rid of them because they are useful.
I've never tried the blu tack or any of it's variants but I've seen plenty of folks rave about it too.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

thesmokingman

that pcb vise is my next purchase ... I went shopping around to step up my helping hands game(thanks to reading this thread) and ran across that ... got to be better than this junky harbor freight set I have now.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

samhay

>reverse action tweezers

+1 for the most-used tool when I am building. Will have to give blu tack more of a serious try too.

pickdropper

As have been mentioned earlier, a desk vise (Panavise in particular) are very useful as is that inexpensive Aven PCB holder.

What I probably use most is a small machinists vise.  The nice thing is that it also can help as a heat sink for sensitive components.  Just make sure not to overclamp (you can always pad the jaws as well).

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper