Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Top Mount Versus Side Mount Jacks

Started by Aleph Null, May 26, 2016, 09:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

Quote from: drolo on May 27, 2016, 11:56:07 AM
Quote from: Muadzin on May 27, 2016, 09:19:06 AM
To me the 125B with top mounts is sooooooooooooooo much more pedal board efficient then a 1590B with side mounts.
I find them actually even more efficient than 1590A's with side mounted jacks
1590As are slightly less wide than 125Bs if you use pancake jacks. The problem I have with 1590As is the lack of surface area for velcro impairs pedal board adhesion.

I don't have large feet,  but I will agree that sometimes enclosure size is limited more by ergonomics than the size of the circuit. That's why this build didn't work out:

m-Kresol

Quote from: Aleph Null on May 27, 2016, 04:34:12 PM
To me the 125B with top mounts is sooooooooooooooo much more pedal board efficient then a 1590B with side mounts.
1590As are slightly less wide than 125Bs if you use pancake jacks. The problem I have with 1590As is the lack of surface area for velcro impairs pedal board adhesion.

I don't have large feet,  but I will agree that sometimes enclosure size is limited more by ergonomics than the size of the circuit. That's why this build didn't work out:

choosing between a 1590A side-mounted and 125B with top-mounted jacks would be hard I guess. they can be comparable in space consumption but the 125B also has the advantage that there's more space between pots and other exterior controls.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

matmosphere

Quote from: Aleph Null on May 27, 2016, 04:34:12 PM

May not have worked out but it certainly looks cool.

Timko

I use 125B's and 125BB's for most of my builds these days, and opt for top mounted jacks.  Like many other, I think the board looks cleaner like that.

If I'm building into something bigger (like the 1590DD that's housing my Sagan Delay) I put the jacks wherever they can fit.

Aleph Null

Quote from: midwayfair on May 27, 2016, 12:44:12 PM
Side, because I can't get top jacks on a 1590A.

What if you turned it lengthwise?

alanp

Quote from: Muadzin on May 27, 2016, 01:12:45 PM
A valid point. Which is why I stopped wearing army boots when playing guitar and always make sure I have a pair of old converse sneakers at the ready. My feet are wide too, but being able to cram a few extra pedals on a pedal board is more then enough to make up for it. And slim shoes help a lot too. Besides, humans are adaptable. Given time they can get used to almost anything.

Winkelpickers of the world, play guitar pedals!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jtaormina

Ill tell ya what i do hate, power jack on the side, uh, i have so many like this (no room sometimes!). Its a big ol' pain to wire power up on the pedal board. Def want those on top.

aion

I do just about everything in 1590Bs with top DC and side jacks. This always seemed like the most 'right' way since that's the Boss/Ibanez convention.

Top-jacked 125s are definitely more space efficient and I get why people prefer them. Just form over utility for me :)

pickdropper

I prefer side mount for 1590a and top mount for 125b and 1590bb.

I almost never use 1590b; if it can't get into a 1590a, I bump up to a 125b with top jacks.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Aleph Null

Has anyone tried top mounting jacks on a 1590B? Seems like you could get a 1590A PCB into a 1590B and still have room at the top for jacks.

samhay

Has anyone tried top mounting jacks on a 1590B?

Yes. You can get 2 1/4" jacks and DC jack in the top if you use jacks with smallish footprints and/or trim the lip on the lid/bottom.

Not my neatest builds, but probably those with the most stuffed into a 1590B:

etc

Aleph Null

Quote from: samhay on June 02, 2016, 07:41:40 PM
Has anyone tried top mounting jacks on a 1590B?

Yes. You can get 2 1/4" jacks and DC jack in the top if you use jacks with smallish footprints and/or trim the lip on the lid/bottom.

Not my neatest builds, but probably those with the most stuffed into a 1590B:

etc

That's impressive! Almost looks like more of a pain than trying to cram stuff into a 1590A, though... :-\

samhay

I guess it's a little different that you're used to, but having done plenty of 1590As, I think these offer enough advantages that I will rarely do anything with a 1590A anymore.

Also, there is no way any of the 3 builds I showed would fit in a 1590A - one has a rotary switch, another has a 10 LED vu, while the 3rd has 2 relays, 2 dual op-amps, an 8-pin pic, a PT2399 and a BTDR-2 reverb brick.

Give it a try (maybe with a smaller circuit). The most you will lose is an enclosure and a few hours of your time...

Aleph Null

Quote from: samhay on June 03, 2016, 08:46:03 AM
Give it a try (maybe with a smaller circuit). The most you will lose is an enclosure and a few hours of your time...

The plan is to build a 4:1 into a 1590B with top mounted jacks. It might put the knobs closer to the foot switch, but I'm ok with that.

Aleph Null

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 27, 2016, 06:07:23 PM

May not have worked out but it certainly looks cool.
Thanks! I rebuilt this pedal in a 1590BB. Tried to keep the catawampus look. Top-mount jacks of coarse. Build report is forthcoming.

2016-06-03_11-21-03