News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rustbucket

Started by benlanc, May 26, 2016, 11:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benlanc

Build went well (worked first time), had a bit of trouble sourcing parts due to a partially shipped order from Banzai, followed by a second partially shipped order after I forgot some bits the first time around.

I cocked up the drilling of the enclosure and overdrilled both the Edge switch (needed a bigger washer to secure it) as well as the DC Jack, so I had to swap the input jack and DC jack's position, which required bending one of the transistors over in order to get clearance from the jack plug. Fairly tight fit all round so careful measurements and accurate centre punch were pretty essential on this one.

Given the high parts count, I took care to orient the resistors so the tolerance band was always at the same end to aid debugging.

I slipped some m7 washers over the pots before mounting them to the enclosure in order to get the Boss style knobs nice and flush

Finish is OK, not my best Envirotex work, approach was:

- Sanding (LOTS of sanding, cheap enclosures = false economy)
- Couple of coats of primer
- Sanding again
– 3 coats of metallic red rattle can
- More sanding (ended up over sanding a couple of spots and exposing primer/aluminium, but had run out of paint!)
- Drilling
- First, lean, pour of Envirotex
- Waterslide decal after 24 hours
- Second pour

There's quite a lip around the bottom edge from the way the envirotex flowed, I still haven't figured out how to do sides properly!

muehring

Looks great!  Nice work!

Timko

This looks great.

As someone looking to start doing the whole envirotex thing...you put a coat on, then waterslide, then put another coat on?

Martan

Looks great! Congrats on the build. Is the shadow on logo part of the sticker, or is it because of the double pour on the envirotex?

benlanc

Thanks all!

Quote from: Timko on May 26, 2016, 05:52:49 PM
you put a coat on, then waterslide, then put another coat on?

Yes, but only because it's metallic automotive paint; it needs sanding and a clearcoat of some sort before the waterslide in order to bring out the sparkle. For normal "flat" paints you'd just put waterslide straight on and one or more pours over the top

Quote from: Martan on May 26, 2016, 08:32:43 PM
Is the shadow on logo part of the sticker, or is it because of the double pour on the envirotex?

It's part of the decal