News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding a tone control to only part of a circuit

Started by Tuxedo3, May 19, 2016, 04:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey guys, so I have a fairly simple boost circuit i've been working on that utilizes a spdt switch to engage some clipping diodes for some dirt as opposed to just boost. Here's my question, could I add a tone pot to specifically the clipping section? I basically don't want the tone knob to adjust anything when the switch is engaging just the boost circuit, but when you throw the switch to engage the diodes I want the tone to be engaged. I have a schematic drawn up that I can post later but as of right now the diyguitarpedals 10 Minute Boost/Dirt schematic is pretty close. http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/boms/10_Min_dirt_&_boost_Schematic.pdf

midwayfair

Put a capacitor in series with a pot in parallel with the diodes.

thesmokingman

as said above, most common example I could think of would be the clipping diodes and tone control from the proco rat. basically put that on a switch. nice part is you could mount all of your components on the pot as everything is going to ground.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Tuxedo3

Quote from: midwayfair on May 19, 2016, 04:53:58 PM
Put a capacitor in series with a pot in parallel with the diodes.

Should the pot come after the diodes to shape the clipping? Or before to shape the frequencies before they are clipped? Also, i've only read about tone controls almost immediately before the volume control, how would I control the tone knob that is on the switch back to the volume control?

Tuxedo3

Quote from: Tuxedo3 on May 19, 2016, 05:25:43 PM
Should the pot come after the diodes to shape the clipping? Or before to shape the frequencies before they are clipped?
Ignore this, my bad. They will be in parallel.