News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD : Epiphone Les Paul 60s Tribute

Started by daleykd, May 18, 2016, 03:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Maple Larynx

I have a stock Blues Jr. with the Jensen speaker and the 1960 Tribute LP with the '57s.  I experience the same EQ/Tone thing you do when I switch back and forth between the LP and "S" or "T" style guitars.  I change the EQ on the amp and/or guitar to compensate.

daleykd

Quote from: Maple Larynx on May 20, 2016, 08:57:02 PM
I have a stock Blues Jr. with the Jensen speaker and the 1960 Tribute LP with the '57s.  I experience the same EQ/Tone thing you do when I switch back and forth between the LP and "S" or "T" style guitars.  I change the EQ on the amp and/or guitar to compensate.
Thanks a bunch!  I really appreciate knowing that it is as designed.

You should mod the amp, dude.  SO much nicer.

daleykd

I decided to perform some "surgery" on her yesterday.  Cracked her open, and removed the pickguard.  Someone had broken the head of the screw (near the neck), so they just superglued the pickguard onto the body and then the screw head to the pickguard.  I had to use pliers to get the screw out.  Then used a little bit of acetone to get most of the superglue removed.  I'm pretty sure this pickguard was installed aftermarket.  The screw hole seems too small for the pickguard screw.  Yay.

I also rewired the pups so they're coil split instead of series/parallel.  At first, I was concerned I screwed something up because the volume difference between bridge and neck were crazy.  Then I realized that I had raised the neck pup a bit.  Once I lowered it back down, levels were the same.

While not drastic (to my ear), you can definitely tell that you're in single coil "mode."  You even get the single coil hum! :D

The only thing I'm "concerned" about is the Gibson 57 Classic+'s DC resistance.  I'm finding mixed info about this pup online.  Some say a hair higher than 8k, others say 13k.  My neck reads at 7.99k, and my bridge was reading a bit lower than that.  Probably not a big deal, but I'm super OCD about stupid stuff.