News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ghost Ship Reverb (Moodring)

Started by eightysixbret, May 17, 2016, 03:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eightysixbret

Ok, this one was by far the most challenging build I've done yet. While the graphics turned out a little rough around the edges (I tried something new for me and it was semi-successful), I learned so much with this build. Ended up having to do a lot of troubleshooting due to some sloppy soldering and some broken pins on the Belton Brick. The positive is that I really feel much more comfortable making sense of a schematic, translating IC pinouts and voltages, using the audio probe Leevibe gave me a long time ago that I had yet to use, and basically figuring stuff out without asking for help. Mostly though, I just love how this thing sounds.

diablochris6

Very cool look to this build. That bezel is rad. Great job! Is that a huge capacitor or a Vienna sausage?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

galaxiex

That's Awesome! 

Love the graphics!  8) 8) 8) The porthole is a very cool touch!

Kudos on the troubleshooting.  :)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

eightysixbret

Quote from: diablochris6 on May 17, 2016, 03:24:57 AM
Very cool look to this build. That bezel is rad. Great job! Is that a huge capacitor or a Vienna sausage?

Thanks! And I know, right? I ordered those because they were on Amazon Prime and they looked *much* smaller on the screen. Oh well, it works and fits, right?

lincolnic

That looks amazing! Great work.

stringsthings

Most excellent pedal !   Love the window and the giant cap.  It's bigger than the PT2399 !  :)
All You Need Is Love

Lubdar

Heh killer design!!! Knob color and porthole are outstanding, plus the sparkle finish just makes it oh so good.
That sausage cap seems to be garnering a lot of attention....
(--c^.^)--c

Stomptown

I love everything about this Brett! Is that a cut vinyl sticker you used for the graphic?

m-Kresol

wow, this is fantastic. Love the graphics and LED 'bezel'. I'm also curious about how you did the graphics. seems to be to thick for a waterslide decal.

One more thing: is this the actual gut shot picture? you seem to be missing the jumpers on the stomp. unless this is wired with tails or something...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

eightysixbret

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

The graphics I did using Papillo flat vinyl sticker paper run through my inkjet, then I put a layer of Papillo waterproof overlay UV laminate on top. I then cut the shapes out using a scalpel and the magnifier on my desk lamp, which as you can see, was met with various degrees of success and/or failure. I really wanted the sparkle to show through like a night sky, and without silk screening skills, this seemed like the best option. I was concerned that white waterslide paper would be even harder to cut the forms out without messing it all up. I actually liked working with the vinyl decal paper and laminate, but I could see it working much better if it was done as a full-face decal without any complicated cuts.

As for jumpers, the wiring diagram that came with the build docs didn't have that, but this is also the buffered setup, so perhaps that is why?

29palms

very cool! It must have been a nightmare cutting round the ship sails  :o

m-Kresol

Quote from: echobret on May 17, 2016, 08:17:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

The graphics I did using Papillo flat vinyl sticker paper run through my inkjet, then I put a layer of Papillo waterproof overlay UV laminate on top. I then cut the shapes out using a scalpel and the magnifier on my desk lamp, which as you can see, was met with various degrees of success and/or failure. I really wanted the sparkle to show through like a night sky, and without silk screening skills, this seemed like the best option. I was concerned that white waterslide paper would be even harder to cut the forms out without messing it all up. I actually liked working with the vinyl decal paper and laminate, but I could see it working much better if it was done as a full-face decal without any complicated cuts.

As for jumpers, the wiring diagram that came with the build docs didn't have that, but this is also the buffered setup, so perhaps that is why?

thanks for explaining. And yes, this is the reason for no jumpers. I didn't know this was a buffered bypass project, my bad.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Matt

Really nice work!  The porthole was a great idea
Matt

midwayfair

This looks fantastic. The green-ish background works especially well to give it an eerie effect.

bcalla