News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My tap tempo tremolo :)

Started by Coda-effects, May 13, 2016, 10:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coda-effects

I finally finished to make a tap tempo tremolo!

This was a huge amount of work, but it finally works correctly :) This is my second prototype. It uses my relay bypass switching scheme. It uses the TAPLFO from Electric Druid, and is quite close from the circuit presented in the datasheet.

The mini switch allow to change between classic true bypass or "temporary bypass" (effect is on while you press the switch only), which is nice to use the square waves for instance.

Next, there are 6 potentiometers (many options!). From left to right, top to bottom:
    Depth: set the tremolo's deepness, from very subtle tremolo to huge choppy tremolo!
    Rate: speed of the tremolo
    Symmetry: changes the waveform, by modifying its duty cycle.
    Waveform: 6-way rotary switch to choose the waveform: square, random, sweep, triangle, sin or "ramp up" waveform
    Volume: can boost a bit the output signal
    Tempo subdivision switch: set the ratio between the tapping or rate knob and the rhythm of the tremolo 2:1 (the tremolo is twice slowler), 1:1 (same speed as tapping), 1:1,5, 1:2, 1:3 et 1:4!

I really love it, and it is on my board now

I had a troubles with noises (ticking LFO noise, very annoying with square waves), but bypassing power supply 100R resistors and adding a huge 470uF resistor on the other side of the board got rid of it :)

In order to use rotary switches for selecting waveforms or tempo ratios, I used a Alpha mini 1P6T rotary switch. I added 2 adaptor boards so it fit perfectly ! (you can also see the vactrol)

Overall, I am very satisfied with it. it was very complex, but also very rewarding ! Moreover, it sounds very good and can do plenty of different stuff, from vintage tremolo with sin wave, to choppy Rage against the machine music bits, I really love it! The random waveform is also quite interesting and is very nice combined with a delay at the same tempo.

A big thank to everyone who helped me in the process, from Tom (Electric Druid), David Rolo and other forum members!

I wrote an article on my blog if you want to read a bit more about it: http://www.coda-effects.com/2016/05/tap-tempo-tremolo-diy-complex-project.html

drolo

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Matt

That's amazing!  Tight layout too!
Matt

storyboardist

Love your builds, man. Well done all around.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

archaos

Super pédale, look d'enfer, bravo !
On veut des clips.  8)
Mehr Licht !

midwayfair

chuckbuick

Outstanding.  I really like how you handled the rotary switches.

selfdestroyer

Glad you got the ticking under control. I love the compact design of the PCB.

Cody

nmbb

Nice build. Having both time divisions and waveform using the rotary switches is definetly a good ideia!

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

nzCdog

flanagan0718

This looks great! Very nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beneharris

That is really impressive to be able to take that from concept to execution like that. Great job!

Lubdar

definitely cool to see this come to fruition!
(--c^.^)--c