News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Powering a Deluxe Electric Mistress

Started by zombie_rock123, May 10, 2016, 08:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie_rock123

I recently was given a DEM, havent investigated the model or anything but its missing its UK plug. Im aware of the hazards of mains and dont mind checking the transformer but is there anyone who knows of any preferable way of powering these? Be it wire the plug and stop asking stupid questions, fit an adaptor and buy an 18/24 volt psu or an adequate current chargepump.

Apologies if its a daft question, google didnt turn up much but I may be using the wrong phrasing. And I didnt want to annoy Scruffie by trying to summon him like Beetlejuice :-)
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Scruffie

Okay, so are you sure it originally had a UK plug on it and there's a transformer inside? Has it been cut off just leaving the lead? Sometimes that was done if there was a fault with a unit to stop it being used.

You can power it pretty much any of those ways you suggested, transformer or 18/24V PSU being the most stable options but the charge pump should work fine too as long as it's an LT1054, which is preferable is up to you... although if you cut the enclosure up to fit a preference, Beetlescruffie'll be comin' for ya! :P
Works at Lectric-FX

zombie_rock123

Holy sh*t you dont even need to say it three times! Definitely UK plug and yeap to the transformer. Ill test the transformer on its own and then if its kaput go for a 1054 chargepump for pedalboards sake. Wasnt sure if there were any known issues so thanks a lot for that man  :D The box will be in no way harmed, lest my head be shrunk and doomed to spend eternity in a waiting room...

Doth your boundless vintage time effects based knowledge extend as far as disc delays? Dont wanna spam this glorious place with my questions but I got hold of an Arbiter Magnetic Disc Echo/Delay and not yet opened that Pandoras box.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Scruffie

You don't want to know what happens if you utter its name three times... :o

It's not necessarily the transformer that's bad, but you might be in for a debug, it was just a thing some people used to do on dead gear. Cross that bridge if it comes to it though, maybe someone just needed a plug!

Sorry to disappoint thou but mine knowledge of vintage effects doth not cover disc delays, not something to cross my path yet.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

I have a 1979 DEM and I removed the cord and transformer, and placed instead a LT1054 charge pump arrangement
Works awesome and much less hum than with the transformer.

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on May 10, 2016, 11:08:32 PM
I have a 1979 DEM and I removed the cord and transformer, and placed instead a LT1054 charge pump arrangement
Works awesome and much less hum than with the transformer.
I don't suppose there's any chance you still have the power cable bushing? Just so happen to need one at the moment and the bitsbox one I ordered fits the hole but not the cable.
Works at Lectric-FX