News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CB Integrated Weeamp

Started by chuckbuick, May 06, 2016, 04:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckbuick

Here's a TC Electronics Integrated Preamp that got shrunk down a little bit.

m-Kresol

nice work and perfect work inside the 1590A
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

chuckbuick

Thanks Felix.  It's been a while since I've done a 1590A build.  Feels good to get small again.

nmbb

wgc

Ho hum. Just another gorgeous build.  ;)

btw, editing to say its a nice touch that you matched the label color to the solder mask.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

selfdestroyer

Looks like the 1590A bug bit you again. Great job man.

Cody

nzCdog

Coda-effects

Wow, SMD!
How do you solder SMD in a nice way like this? I am currently trying to mod SMD pedals, and I do not want to damage it... Do you have some tips about SMD soldering ?

Willybomb

Oh, f**k off with the perfect 1590a builds already!  ;D

chuckbuick

Thanks guys.
Quote from: Coda-effects on May 13, 2016, 09:52:40 AM
Wow, SMD!
How do you solder SMD in a nice way like this? I am currently trying to mod SMD pedals, and I do not want to damage it... Do you have some tips about SMD soldering ?
One of the biggest tips I can give for clean soldering is use small diameter solder.  I use .015" for my SMD boards.  It is much easier to control the amount of solder used.  With the standard .031" solder you barely touch it to the iron tip and you already have a solder blob that is bigger than you want for most pad sizes. 

For desoldering I recommend using ChipQuik if you are planning on saving the removed part.  If you're not saving the part you can bridge the pins with molten solder and slide or lift the part off the pcb. 

Before swapping the new part I use solder wick (braid) to clean the pads.  Then I apply a bit of solder to one pad.  Grab the new part with tweezers, heat soldered pad and place the part.  Once part is in place remove the iron.  When the solder solidifies I solder the other pad(s) then go back and touch up the first pad with a bit more solder just to smooth it out.  I use this same method for new PCB's as well.

I find these little SMD guys to be pretty hearty.  I think most people around here would crap if they saw how I treat my parts.  But they can take more abuse than they get credit for.  PCB's, on the other hand, can vary in durability.  That's where something like ChipQuik can be a real help.  Whatever method you use just make sure your solder is molten before trying to remove the part or you will pull up the pad.

Here's a vid I posted of me removing an SO-8 IC without ChipQuik.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=19615.msg190389#msg190389

Hope this helps.