News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ARGH, Venting! Anybody have a spare bass side Gibson Deluxe tuner?

Started by matmosphere, May 02, 2016, 05:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I bought a used set of Gibson Deluxe tuners from my local shop last week for a build that I'm working on. It's a great shop and I choose to support them instead of buying a less expensive new set of tuners online, but they've let me down this time.

I reemed out the holes on the neck and when I went to do a dry fit with all six I noticed the back wasn't secure on one of the bass side tuners. Turns out the little tabs that hold it down were broken clean off. The guy at the shop won't take them back because I can't find the receipt despite the fact that he and I both know exactly what I paid for them. He's a nice guy and has a great shop so I don't want to burn bridges here but I'm pretty ticked off. Especially because my budget is super tight right now and I don't have the cash to buy a different set at the moment, and having reemed the holes out my original choice will now need conversion bushings that will just add to the expense.

I'm not 100% sure it was pulling away when I bought them but the most I did with it was check to make sure that everything turned smoothly. I feel like the thing should have at least made it onto the guitar before kicking it, I mean there wasn't even any string tension on it. I ended up taking it apart this morning and discovered that one of the small plastic washers had broken off and was between the back of the tuner and the gear. I figure the pressure from that is what caused the thing to break. The metal washer and other plaster washer are very warped as well, so I'm pretty sure this thing was messed up before I ever got it.

At any rate if somebody out there has a bass side Gibson Deluxe tuner laying around I might be willing to take it off your hands.

I have never had a gibson, so I'm wondering if these things are just total crap. Maybe I shouldn't even mess with them and just wait until I can afford something better.

matmosphere

After mulling it over today I've decided that I think I'm going to go in and ask the guy to stand behind the product and take it back. I'll even offer to take a few bucks hit on it. I know you take a risk buying used stuff but i just don't feel good about this.

What do you guys think, is it unreasonable for me to ask him to take them back?

galaxiex

Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

Jebus

That's what I would do. In fact, here in Finland both customer and the seller needs to keep a copy of the receipt during the warranty period (don't know how that works when buying used stuff from a shop, but still). Maybe you could ask him to change those to some other set of tuners?

BrianS

Are the tuners chrome, gold or ivory? I could possibly have one, depending on color, if things don't go well when you return to the shop.

matmosphere

Quote from: BrianS on May 03, 2016, 11:12:56 AM
Are the tuners chrome, gold or ivory? I could possibly have one, depending on color, if things don't go well when you return to the shop.

Thanks man, they are chrome but they have a small white oval key, but at this point I might just use whatever so I can keep moving forward on the project. I'll let you know how it goes.

matmosphere

Sorry, more venting here.

Well turns out it was unreasonable, at least to the shops owner. He ended up giving me store credit for about 90% of what I paid. I went in a few days later and used it, and a little more, to buy a new set of tuners.

I went in yesterday ready to buy pickups and electronics. This is a small place and stuff generally cost a bit more than what you'd pay online, but I always felt like it was worth it to support the community and get some good advice. The store was a bit busy and the owner asked me what I needed, I said I wanted some guidance. I hadn't totally decided what to do with the pickups and wether to use a tone control with it. He said that he didn't have any guidance that day. I though he was joking around and said something back about how he seemed to know a lot about this stuff. Then he basically said go away because he was too busy to help me that day. I can't help but think if it wasn't for the tuner thing he wouldn't have blown me off. Sometimes I'm sorry that I try to give shops my money, given he was busy and I didn't expressly say I was going to give him my money, but I shouldn't have to.

wgc

That sux. Don't think you were unreasonable. Imho worth another shot to work things out when it's less busy.

From his pov, he can't be sure you didn't break it, though he did give you most of your $$ back. And he wasn't terrible to you when it was busy. He's got to weigh a potential amp or guitar sale against a maybe sale from someone who wants his time and might try to return another broken part.  Or worse, someone walking off with something expensive while he's guiding you. Remember, his margins aren't huge...

Again, you weren't wrong, and he was a little brusque, but this just sounds like a slight rough patch on a nice road.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

matmosphere

Get what you're saying, but he was actually just a jerk about it. One of his buddies from the shop next door was there too and he told him to just hang on a minute while he helped the customers out. Then when I offered to wait for him he just told me he was too busy and he wouldn't be able to help me that day. I was also the first person in the shop when they opened, and was ignored while several other customers were helped. The owner just seems to not be interested in my business. I wrote him a message explaining that I was offended and that I was actually there to buy pickups. He didn't apologize and wished me well in all my musical endeavors.

I'd say we're pretty done.

wgc

Yeah, hearing all that I agree. I don't blame you. Sorry dude, hope you find another place that's nicer to deal with.  Fwiw I live by the legendary House of Guitars in Rochester. I won't shop there because they have such a crappy way of treating customers.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings