News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sparklehorn Help?

Started by zonzone12, April 26, 2016, 04:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonzone12

Hello All & thank you in advance for any help.

My Sparklehorn was built with a single switch, so the delay & OD engage together.  Problem is that the delay doesn't engage most of the time - just the OD. 

Since I'm not a builder, I can only diagnose this problem to a tiny degree, but it seems to be linked to the power supply.  With certain wall warts & my power brick it never works, with some wall warts - sometimes. 

I read about a similar problem & checked out grounding issues, but still can't resolve it.  Any thoughts?

Grazie

jimilee

So, what is your question? Have you used the proper wall wart for a pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

zonzone12

No...  the Sparklehorn has an issue.  The different wall warts are all Boss or Boss style.  the power brick is a Voodoo labs pedal power ... so, the power sources are all ok.  They all work fine with all other pedals.

I don't know what to check out on the Sparklehorn ..  why would it act this way?

jimilee

My guess would be a bad solder joint and it may be a coincidence that it works at times or a bad supply. Start by measuring the voltages when it does work and when it doesn't. And maybe another pt2399, sometimes they are prone to lock up, but check the voltages first.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

zonzone12

playpunk

Is this my build??

"my legend grows" - playpunk

playpunk

Etched enclosure....

zonzone12

Hey Andrew -  How are you?  Yes, it is... but I didn't want to bother you.  I thought it would be something really minor & I'd get a suggestion to fix it myself.  I've looked at it, but I'm really no use.

Aside from this, I love the pedal - & the build quality is quite first rate.  All the wiring is so tight & clean..  the solder joints perfect.  ..not to mention the superb artwork that grabs everyone's notice.

I feel bad about it, because I know you put a ton of effort into it.

playpunk

You can send it back to me and I will fix it. No worries!

zonzone12

Andrew -  That's very kind.  Thanks!

playpunk

Got this back from Rob - confirmed that it is not working with my Walrus supply, in the exact manner Rob described - no repeats, but Overdrive.

Weirdly, it does work with my One Spot, which is what I use to test pedals. I assume that there is a compatibility issue with the DC jack and the standard 2.1mm cables supplied with most power supplies, that the connection isn't sufficient to allow for enough current draw to power the delay portion of the pedal. It's a lumberg-a-like from BLMS, and I haven't had this issue before with those jacks.

Just wanted to give a heads up. I'm going to pull the DC jack and replace it, and hopefully that fixes the problem.

jimilee

Whaaaat?? That's great news.