News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD - Peavey 6505 Mini Head... that's right, I said Peavey

Started by culturejam, April 23, 2016, 05:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: Mojo Fandangle on May 10, 2016, 04:54:07 AM
Nice. I like the option of having it either 1, 5, or 20 watts.
I've been looking for a giggable mini head to replace my Blackstar HT-5.

If you need the metalz, I think it's a good option. If not, the Classic 20 mini head would be a better choice, I think. Same features otherwise (wattage selector, effects loop, reverb, etc), but the gain level is much more "reasonable".  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

AntKnee

Peavey makes some good amps and bad amps, just like everyone else. I've always found the biggest turn off about their amps is the cheesy logo. The pointy font just looks goofy, IMO. I am on the market for a Classic 30, but I hate the new version with the logo badge that you can't remove as cleanly. The 6505 stuff is all good and very popular for rock/metal tones. Nice choice!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

culturejam

Quote from: AntKnee on May 10, 2016, 04:29:35 PM
I've always found the biggest turn off about their amps is the cheesy logo. The pointy font just looks goofy, IMO.

Well, when I first started playing guitar, that logo was "cool".  ;D So even though I realize it now looks very dated, I still associated it with "cool" because of my personal history with the brand. They've made some clunkers over the years, but most of their stuff is pretty solid and priced reasonably.

wgc

Quote from: GermanCdn on May 09, 2016, 08:56:17 PM
Nice.  I've been thinking about one of those for a while, as I really want an original 5150 (which is what the 6505 is based on), and they are getting really hard to find in even fair condition cause they've been played out so hard.  But then I remind myself that I haven't played guitar for more than 15 minutes at a time in the last 10 months, and more amps seem like overkill.

I wasn't as impressed with the EVH 5150 III (or whatever variation they're on now), as they sound a lot darker (to my ears), which makes me think Eddie has all but lost his hearing when he's developing new products (which is probably not too far from the truth).  Seems consistent with the Wolfgangs as well, both my EBMMs and my Peaveys sound and play a lot better than their EVH contemporaries.

I'm so glad that we're past the point of everything needing to be 100W, 50 is more than enough power, and most of my micro heads top out at 20 and that's still plenty loud, and you get all the toan with 30% less tinnitus.

I miss my early 90s Bandit as well (though truth be told, I'd wish I'd been smarter about that one.  It was that or an original 5150 combo, but at that stage I was only solid state and was put off by the shared EQ).  I put thousands of hours on that thing, spilled countless drinks on it, dropped it down a number of staircases, and it still kept going.

agree with almost all of this, but would still love to try out the 5153.  I actually don't find it dark sounding in the demos, but I am sure that hearing loss is a factor in there somehow.  Usually the high end (above 2k) is the first thing to go, so things that sound good to the musician end up sounding overly bright to the undamaged ear.

I remember borrowing a bandit for a number of gigs in the early 90s after damaging an amp at an outdoor gig (wind blew over a cymbal and it sliced right through the power cord...).  It was pretty mean sounding!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

Quote from: culturejam on May 10, 2016, 04:32:05 PM
Well, when I first started playing guitar, that logo was "cool".  ;D So even though I realize it now looks very dated, I still associated it with "cool" because of my personal history with the brand. They've made some clunkers over the years, but most of their stuff is pretty solid and priced reasonably.

The logo looks like something a bored kid would doodle on the back of his maths book.

I've heard of people buying Peavey amps and cabs, taking the logo OFF, and then using them professionally :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

AntKnee

Quote from: culturejam on May 10, 2016, 04:32:05 PM

I'm with you. In 1986, My first electric was a Peavey Horizon II. I loved it, pointy logo and all. I agree with Alan, though. It looks like a doodle from a bored kid.
Sorry to hijack the OP's thread with logo talk.  ::)
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

culturejam