News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

calling all knob aficionados

Started by samhay, April 21, 2016, 12:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samhay

I'm looking for recomendations for knobs.
But wait.
Specifically, those that will fit on rotary switches with an (allegedly) 6.3 mm (1/4") plastic spindle like this:

Chicken heads will fit, as will some of the Davies (maybe cloned) knobs with plastic inserts. What else have you good people found to work?
I have one of these in a bass, which looks a bit fugly with chicken heads, so anybody found a tele(ish)-style knob that will fit these?

Thanks

HamSandwich

If you have a Dremel or any saw really, you can cut it down to fit the kind of knobs your looking for.

samhay

I considered that, and it's a reluctant option. The chicken head knobs fit beautifully, so there must be other options out there with similar sleeve dimensions.

raulduke

Shortening the shaft is what I do.

I think it's pretty much what everyone does.

If you have the shaft held firmly in a vice when cutting then you won't cause any damage to the pot.

samhay

The length isn't the problem - they get cut down like most other pots.
The problem is that the shaft has a diameter of 6.3 mm as opposed to 6.0 mm for 16 mm (and many other) pots. That extra 0.3mm is too much for almost all of the various pots in my collection, which must have an inner diameter of <6.3 mm.

I guess this is why you only see chicken head knobs on varitone switches in guitars - none of the usual suspects fit.

Leevibe

If you're careful, you can probably ream out the knob a bit to get it to fit.

samhay

That's my last resort.
I have a number of projects that do/will use these, so I don't really want to have to do that on a regular basis.

selfdestroyer

davent

Any 1/4" knob with a set screw. You have to get away from that infernal metric system.

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 21, 2016, 08:22:10 PM
via Imgflip Meme Maker

Actually a bigger hole...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

samhay

>Any 1/4" knob with a set screw.

I guess that must be it, and having had a look with fresh eyes I see that at least Stew Mac advertise tele knobs for both 6mm and 1/4" shaft.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Knobs/Dome_Knob.html

midwayfair

Don't ream the frigging knob. It's a PLASTIC SHAFT. Just grab a pocket knife and shave the switch shaft itself, then any knob fits.

also, hehehehe

samhay

I never had any intention of drilling out the knobs - I would expect those with metal inserts would just spin the insert.
I will shave the odd shaft if needs be, but I was/am looking for a less annoying option for future builds - which seems to be to make sure I order knobs designed for a 1/4" shaft. It seems most of those in the UK are 6 mm, which is why I have few options in my stash.

raulduke

There are plenty 1/4 inch (6.4mm) knobs available in the UK.

Look at thonk and pedal parts uk for a start. They both have a good selection and are geared towards pedal/music DIY.

Rapid and Farnell also stock a bit of 1/4 inch stuff.

samhay

Many of my knobs come from pedal parts uk. The only ones from there that fit (although I haven't tried every last one) are the chicken heads. Having looked closer, they have pretty decent descriptions for each knob, and it would appear that many won't fit on the 6mm solid-shaft pots either.

Haven't seen thonk before - thanks for the pointer.

jball85

You can find knobs specifically for rotary pots like that on Ebay for cheap. That's If you don't mind taking that route. Just search rotary switch knobs, and make sure to get some that will fit the rotary shaft correctly. Although, many of those knobs have set screws.