News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Naughty Fish makes a motorboating sound

Started by bscur, April 18, 2016, 03:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martan

Make sure you are reading the pins in  the right order. Your  voltages are flipped on ic 1 and 3 compared to the build doc. Either you are reading the pins in the wrong order, your ic is in backwards, or something in your power section is backwards . The other pins measure a few mV on mine and in the build doc, but not zero

bscur

Hi,
The build doc has the wiring for the ground different than most of the Madbean pedals. It shows the ground on the middle left lug instead of the bottom left lug. I wired it like this, is that correct? I've double checked and everything seems to be put in with the correct polarity.

mcasemo

IC4 Pin 1 is the pad that is square.  If you socketed it, just remove the IC and bend that pin upwards so it will not go in the socket, then put the IC back in.  IC numbering goes from the end of hte IC that has the half moon indention, when that is the top, pin 1 is on the left, pin 2 below that, then wehen you get to the bottom, you keep going around counterclockwise so the bottom right most pin is pin 5, 6, and 7 going up the right side.  If there is no half mood indention, then it is marked with a circle.

No need to break any traces on the board.  Did you do that?  If so, tell us where you did that, if you had the numbering off, this could be an issue.

bscur

Thanks. I got the correct numbering and lifted the #1 pin on IC#4. I get guitar sounds and sometimes an effect. If I play around with the switches there is at times a huge low zipper sound. Sometimes there is an envelope filter effect. Hitting the deepest e note induces the buzzing. The chips are Texas Instruments from Mouser, so I think they are good.

mcasemo

OK, cool.  I didn't read all the previous.  Not sure what to look for next, but reflow all the joints, check for reversed component positions, etc.....   

bscur

Oops. Okay, I noticed the trimpot seemed off, so I extended the leads on the trimpot so it could fit the 1 to the 1 and not just fit the triangle shape. That seems to have been the biggest problem. Do the vactrols control different settings? I still get a low buzz on one of the Lp/HP/BP settings. Otherwise, things seem much better. Thanks for the help.

mcasemo

vactrols are always engaged.  they effect the filter, so the envelope modulation is running through them.  did you get a DPDT on on on switch for the hp/bp/lp filter?  Three position, right?  If it is on off on, then that could be an issue.  just thinking out loud.  i think there are two types of on on on.  is it the center position that buzzes?  that info may help trace to your problem. 

mcasemo

well i guess on vac vs the other could be engaged based on hp/bp/lp, actually.  i'm mucking with this circuit as well, but have not traced the hp/bp/lp thorugh the filters to understand it yet.  glads its improving otherwise.

fredwreck

I was having similar problems with my Naughty Fish... this is the on-on-on switch I ordered from mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/7211SYCQE/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujRiaoO1EQ%2fAGeNxHWzQ1rYgv2OL3oJPxZUA623XR5GMg%3d%3d

everyones been saying there are two different types of ON On ON switches, but I havent figured out what the two types are.  Anyone have any idea?

FuzzTony

The DPDT on-on-on difference is in the middle position, which pins are connected.  This has been driving me crazy as well.   Most vendors do not specify, and the ones that do include a diagram (except SB) are almost impossible to tell if the POV are the pins looking down at the switch from above, or looking up at the pins/lugs from below, know what I mean?

I like to support SmallBear, but all I need right now is the switch, and ordering just that will wind up costing me about $20 Canadian after shipping.

Anyone have a verified alternate source that might be a little more reasonable?

okeephoss

hi... just wondrering if you found a cure.  I'm experiencing the same issues.  thanks.