News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What IC and component sockets to get?

Started by GhostofJohnToad, July 17, 2011, 03:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

First off let me say hello!  I ordered my first madbean pcb, a King of Klones and got it this week.  This will be my first pedal build, but I have done some electronics stuff before.  Wiring my guitars, fixing my tube amp, etc. 

OK, so I got my new PCB and I tried to put the IC socket in that I had  laying around(got from radio shack a few moons ago), well it doesn't fit.  It appears to be too tight.  I really want to socket the IC and a couple caps and maybe a few diodes.  So what do you recommend that fits?  Searching Mouser I did not see any filters for sorting for pin diameter or similar so I'm a little clueless in this regard as too what I need to get.  Thanks.

nzCdog

Hey man :)

So let me get this stright, you have a DIP8 IC socket that doesn't fit the PCB???
Like this, right? http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-105/8-pin-DIP-IC/Detail

If you want to socket Caps or diodes, I recommend this http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-1796/30-Pin-DIP-SIP/Detail Cut the sockets off in singles or two's with a sharp hobby knife, and solder them in to the pcb

GhostofJohnToad

Yes, well kinda I guess after comparing the IC socket you show to mine, while the housing looks identical, I noticed the leads on mine are longer and squared  That's the problem I guess. 

Thanks for both links.  I especially was unsure about what to do for the other components, cool!

oldhousescott

Get some sockets with machine turned pins. They make better contact and will last longer.

Mark_McQ

Quote from: oldhousescott on July 17, 2011, 06:38:27 PM
Get some sockets with machine turned pins. They make better contact and will last longer.

I second that. I use those on all my builds. They're called precision sockets. Good for straightening bent legs too:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/8-pin-precision-socket.html

nzCdog

Quote from: oldhousescott on July 17, 2011, 06:38:27 PM
They're nicer but the other sockets work fine too. GhostofJohnToad just use whichever you can find, or prefer

gtr2

That's funny.  It is a matter of taste somewhat.  I actually prefer the cheaper style.  Pulling things in and out of the machined sockets tends to be a pain, you have to be spot on with your IC leads,  but they are better quality.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmybjj

Quote from: gtr2 on July 18, 2011, 12:08:31 AM
That's funny.  It is a matter of taste somewhat.  I actually prefer the cheaper style.  Pulling things in and out of the machined sockets tends to be a pain, you have to be spot on with your IC leads,  but they are better quality.

+1
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

I still haven't tried the machine pin IC sockets, the cheap have always worked fine for me. Sometimes a pin leaf will pop out but its not a problem to put it back  :)
With the cheaper ones its a good idea to try and fit the IC to the actual spacing. It will make the best contact that way. I always have to shuffle the IC back and forth a bit to get it to actually seat flat, maybe that's not a factor with the higher quality ones as oldhousescott is saying.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jball85

oldhousescott

Post count related? (there I go, in a thinly veiled attempt to raise mine!)