News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Naughty Fish Static

Started by fredwreck, April 01, 2016, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredwreck

To all you gurus out there. I finally got this Naughty Fish together.  My first attempt at etching, didnt come out that bad, next time I hope it to be better.  Having a couple issues.

in LP mode everything sounds fine.  But if I switch to HP or BP and have the range switched to UP (Left) I get lots of static.  Switchin the Range to down it goes away.  Also if I have the Lo-Hi switch on HI I get static.  I did a walk thru of every component (twice).  and triple checked my connections.  Turning the sweep pot also changes the static.  Here are my IC Voltages.

Power Supply Volts in 12.20v

IC1:
1.  3mv
2.  3mv
3.  0
4.  -11.37
5.  3mv
6.  2mv
7.  2mv
8.  11.91

IC2:

1.  1.38v
2.  4mv
3.  0
4.  -11.38
5.  4.73
6.  4.71
7.  9.22
8.  11.92

IC3:

1.  3mv
2.  2mv
3.  0
4.  -11.38
5.  0
6.  3mv
7.  2mv
8.  11.92

IC4:

1.  1.54v
2.  6.62v
3.  0
4.  .030v
5.  .690v
6.  4.59v
7.  .218v
8  12.03v

madbean

Although the NF should work at +12v I would start with 9v (which is the standard). I don't think that is the problem here but always eliminate every possibility.

Are you positive you used an ON/On/On switch for the LP/HP/BP?
Your voltages look pretty good although pin7 of IC2 is a bit high (again, could be from using a 12v supply instead of 9).

fredwreck

Madbean! thanks for replying... My switch is a DPDT On-On-On switch, just checked my Mouser invoice to triple check.  I hooked it up to a 9v battery and the readings were much closer to the ones in your PDF.

I put the circuit on my scope. And these are the results:

LP-HP-BP   Range         Lo-Hi
----------------------------------------------
Left          Left(up)      L or R     =Signal
Left          Right          L or R     =Signal
Middle      Left(up)      L or R     =Static
Middle      Right          L or R     =Signal
Right        Left(up)      L or R    =Static
Right        Right          L or R    =Signal

Ceebers

Please be aware that there are two different types of on/on/on dpdt switches, each with a different throw, for the the middle "on" position.

While the one's offered by Small Bear and Dimarzio are the same throw, I have noticed that most on/on/on's I have seen elsewhere are the other type. ( I can't remember which is type 1 and type 2 at the moment, sorry)

I had built the NF with the incorrect switch at first as I had a bunch on hand, and then after ordering the one supplied by Small Bear, I installed it (PITA) and all was well.

You may already have known that, but it took some poking around for me to figure the switch thing out.  I also use liquid tape on the back of the pots to eliminate the chance of shorts.

fredwreck

Hey Cebers.. thanks for replying.. originally I had ordered all my parts from SmallBear except the On-On-On switch, they were out.  So I ordered this one from mouser

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/7211SYCQE/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujRiaoO1EQ%2fAGeNxHWzQ1rYgv2OL3oJPxZUA623XR5GMg%3d%3d

Thanks for the info, maybe thats what my problem is, let me do some research and get back.