News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wall mounted Keys - UPDATED

Started by selfdestroyer, March 31, 2016, 03:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

In a nut shell I really wanted to get rid of my free standing keyboard rack. I hated the fact that the legs make it have to be so far way from a wall due to leg span and it takes up so much room. Since my keyboards do not leave the house, I decided to wall mount them. I looked online for the best/cost effective way to do it. I came up with some brackets from String Swing and some slatwall "like" paneling from Lowes call Gladiator.

Here is the panel on the wall:

Here is my Juno-60 mounted:

Gladiator Paneling:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_182183-46-GAWC041PZY_0__?productId=4196257#img

String Swing Wall Bracket:
https://www.stringswing.com/category/products/wall-display-fixtures2/keyboards-mixers

could not ask for anything better at this point. This was exactly what I envisioned. One more tier for one more synth and I will call this wall complete.  Another cool thing about the Gladiator product from Lowes is that they sell shelves, mount & hooks. I am going to have to put some cable holders and a nice hook for headphones.

UPDATE: 2nd tier added with my Yamaha DX7 in all of its brown glory.

Cody

davent

That looks great, i've been trying to figure what to do as well!

And of course with that tread title i envisioned a bunch of pegs to hang key rings from.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Lubdar

That's great, and the positioning looks pretty ideal as well.
(--c^.^)--c

alanp

Very, very cool! (Despite my dopey beggar thread, I wouldn't know what to do with one of those keyboards if you hit me over the head with it!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Rhodes... *swoons*
Nice one Cody ;D

peAk

Very Cool!!!

...and my, what a nice Rhodes and Juno  8)

culturejam

I know nothing of keyboards, but that's a nice setup!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Thanks guys, it was SO fun last night getting everything hooked up and laying down some simple 4 bar loops. I can't wait to get it all hooked up and usable again.

Cool story behind the Rhodes. My father and I have wanted one FOREVER and I attempted to emulate it over the years with VSTi's/Kontakt Libraries but was never satisfied with the sounds but they filled the void for the time being. My dad knew a guy (That he went to school with WAY back in the day lol) that toured with one in the 80's/90's and that we should contact him about what to look for when buying one and pricing. When my dad contacted him, the guy said he was not able to take it out anymore due to size and weight and that if my father would drive to his house (L.A. California) and spend a day playing guitar with him that we could have the Rhodes. I was like "when you leaving?!" A couple weeks went by and my father planned a day to jam with him and as promised, he came home with the Rhodes Mark I Seventy Three.

Its such a fun keyboard to play around with... but some of the cool harmonic "That Rhodes Sounds" chords are so hard for me to remember. It is so cool to look under the hood of it and see all the tines and all the single coil pickups in this thing.

Cody

peAk

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 31, 2016, 04:07:46 PM
Thanks guys, it was SO fun last night getting everything hooked up and laying down some simple 4 bar loops. I can't wait to get it all hooked up and usable again.

Cool story behind the Rhodes. My father and I have wanted one FOREVER and I attempted to emulate it over the years with VSTi's/Kontakt Libraries but was never satisfied with the sounds but they filled the void for the time being. My dad knew a guy (That he went to school with WAY back in the day lol) that toured with one in the 80's/90's and that we should contact him about what to look for when buying one and pricing. When my dad contacted him, the guy said he was not able to take it out anymore due to size and weight and that if my father would drive to his house (L.A. California) and spend a day playing guitar with him that we could have the Rhodes. I was like "when you leaving?!" A couple weeks went by and my father planned a day to jam with him and as promised, he came home with the Rhodes Mark I Seventy Three.

Its such a fun keyboard to play around with... but some of the cool harmonic "That Rhodes Sounds" chords are so hard for me to remember. It is so cool to look under the hood of it and see all the tines and all the single coil pickups in this thing.

Cody

awesome story and I am so jealous!!! The 73s are my favorite. I would love to have a Rhodes but don't have the room or the money. It's almost impossible to find a Rhodes as clean as yours for under a grand and usually much more.

alanp

Very cool. Dad still adores that transistor organ from House Of The Rising Sun.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

Now that's outstanding!
Brilliant work.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

chuckbuick

Nice work.  But when I read the thread title mt first thought was the vid for Separate Ways by Journey.

selfdestroyer

Thats more my style Chuck.. lol

I added my 2nd tier and threw my Yamaha DX7 on there. Having a blast with it right now since its been over 2 years since this has been powered on. All my cool patches are still saved on the mem card. lol

Cody

peAk

Damn man, you have a DX7 too?

Your setup looks great. You are different than me though. I like to have my synths surrounding me in my chair so I don't have to stand up when I am recording. Lazy? You bet. :)