News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tap Tempo Cardinal

Started by m-Kresol, March 28, 2016, 03:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

I finally finished Jon's Tap Tempo Cardinal Tremolo yesterday. I really like the sound!
I had a broken electric cap killing the supply voltage. Of course, I had already boxed it, because it had quite a bit of offboard wiring involved. Taking it out wasn't as bad as I anticipated, but at least I figured out the problem fast enough.

Enclosure is etched with NaOH. Because of the fine lines, I didn't sand the surface, but rather scratched the paint off the raised parts with a syringe needle and a spatula under a magnifying lamp, which took me about 1 hour and explaining what I'm doing late night in the x-ray lab to a professor :)

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Luke51411

Excellent work! Great detailed etch!

Dminner

flanagan0718

Looks Great! Love the etch!

gül

Timko

That's really pretty.  I'm madly jealous you got one of these boards.  This is the V2 circuit with a tap tempo?

Timko

What did you think of the NaOH etch?  Do you like it better than the Ferric enchant?

selfdestroyer

WOw Felix, you took your etches to the next level! Great detail.. and those knobs are a great choice.

Cody

m-Kresol

thanks guys, I appreciate your comments  :)

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 28, 2016, 04:32:42 PM
WOw Felix, you took your etches to the next level! Great detail.. and those knobs are a great choice.

The most important part was to improve the toner transfer. The roller thingy definetly is the best addition in that department.

Quote from: Timko on March 28, 2016, 04:20:26 PM
That's really pretty.  I'm madly jealous you got one of these boards.  This is the V2 circuit with a tap tempo?

What did you think of the NaOH etch?  Do you like it better than the Ferric enchant?

Yes, it is. It was a one time offer, iirc.
NaOH is quite similar to FeCl3. Some like one better over the other. I had good experiences with both. NaOH is cheaper, yet I found it eats the toner over time. For this one, I had some problems FeCl3. No idea what the issue was, but for some reason a redish layer formed on the enclosure which was hard to remove, but etching kind of progressed beneath it. However, it led to vary inconsistent depth and loss of detail so I started over with NaOH for this one.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

chordball

Damn Felix! That's awesome! I really like this one. Great work man.

George

Its stunning man. Great build and those really fine details around the multiplier pot are so clean.
How is the sound of the Cardinal Tremolo?

* I am asking because i am considering building a tap tempo tremolo and i am betweein the tremolo in music pcb and the Tap Tempo Cardinal Tremolo .
Also where i can but the pcb for the Tap tempo Cardinal tremolo in 1776 i found only v2 cardinal and no sign of tap tempo (excuse me if i missed something)?

brejna

That is AWESOME build! Really love how you did this one. It looks like patriotic tremolo? ;)

Martan

Orbis_Ignis

That looks great man. I'm thinking about getting Cardinal board myself

midwayfair

That is an absolutely smoking etch. Unbelievably good. The graphic is also very amusing.

I must say I'm surprised you put the rate knob external instead of the volume, though. I can't remember the last time I actually used the rate knob on a TAPLFO pedal!

Quote from: George on March 28, 2016, 05:44:35 PMAlso where i can but the pcb for the Tap tempo Cardinal tremolo in 1776 i found only v2 cardinal and no sign of tap tempo (excuse me if i missed something)?

It's my PCB that I finished before 1776's release of the analog version. It was a very limited run from a group buy (there were only 50 available), and I don't do reprints of my PCBs.

A few people did get two, so you might put a WTB up if anyone has an extra. (I also had a couple extra but they're reserved for PIFs.)