News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590A Tonebender MK II

Started by Jakes Dad, March 24, 2016, 02:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakes Dad

Just finished up Stomptown's excellent Black Magic MK II.  Matched trannies (Q1 hfe 72, L 64; Q2 hfe 89, L 88; Q3 hfe 155, L 99) and most other parts from Small Bear.  Box was finished with some Rustoleum paint/primer combo which dings pretty easily.  What I thought was a grounding issue turned out to be an out put jack issue that disappeared once it was tightened down well.  I opted to install C2 and C4 on the bottom of the board but it was still fairly challenging to get everything in that end of the box.
Here's the face:

And the guts:

Chuck

alanp

Good stuff! That's a really nice looking little box of fun :)

I've seen a few amp build docs where they instruct to use a wirewheel around where jacks will be bolted down (on the inside, this is with chassis that are completely powdercoated/painted), to ensure good ground connection.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

AntKnee

Looks good. Nice job packing it in there. I hate the rustoleum stuff, never got good results with it.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

nzCdog

v00d00blues79

Nice!  I have one of those boards.  I'm waiting on some small parts for it at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darrenw6000

dan.schumaker

Looks good.  Its a great sounding fuzz.  I have one boxed up in a 1590G to finish up that board.

Jakes Dad

Quote from: alanp on March 24, 2016, 04:00:48 AM
Good stuff! That's a really nice looking little box of fun :)

I've seen a few amp build docs where they instruct to use a wirewheel around where jacks will be bolted down (on the inside, this is with chassis that are completely powdercoated/painted), to ensure good ground connection.

Alan,

I've painted a couple boxes inside and always scrubbed the area inside around the jacks with a sanding stick - little dicey trying to get a wire wheel inside an effect box.  This was different though.  I dropped everything loosely in the box then tried to tighten things up.  The board rests on the output jack just a little so it runs up hill from the pots to the jack.  I tightened the pots down first then tightened the jacks.  For some reason I forgot to use a tool on the output jack so it was just finger tight.  It felt firm but shifted when the cord was inserted making very slight intermittent contact with the bottom of the board. Of course, when you unplug everything and take it back to the bench to see WTF? is going on everything looks fine.

Chuck

rmfroyd

I am constantly forgetting to tighten my jacks down. I just get so damn excited because the project is nearing completion that I forget...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk