News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drill templates / layout planning

Started by Marshall Arts, March 23, 2016, 06:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

I have a general question: Obviously being obsessed with squeezed build, I was wandering, what tools you guys use for drill templates for your own layouts. I usually spend an afternoon with calipers, components and powerpoint ;-). Anything more sophisticated (maybe 3D with a library for pots, switches, jacks etc.) around?

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Timko

I follow a similar principle as Juansolo (using the board as a drill guide then putting in the controls and artwork), but I use Inkscape.

selfdestroyer

I do it all in Photoshop also. I use calipers and make my guides in Photoshop. I do everything at 300DPI and import in the PCB to size to lay everything out to size.

Cody

davent

I did Hammond box templates years ago using  CAD software so i keep using it, very easy. I'll move the created drill template to Inkscape to figure out lettering and art.ve
da
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

peAk

I use calipers and Corel Draw

If it's a complex assembly, I use SolidWorks

alanp

I'm the opposite. I put masking tape on the enclosure, and eyeball my measurements.

Only good for one-off enclosures.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Marshall Arts

Quote from: alanp on March 23, 2016, 04:50:59 PM
I'm the opposite. I put masking tape on the enclosure, and eyeball my measurements.

Only good for one-off enclosures.
I have seen your great builds, that's OK...they are complicated enough from the inside :-)... Cannot believe there isn't something like diylc around for the standard components. Or something in sketchup...

stevie1556

I use CorelDRAW to get my drill templates designed, then cut it out of acrylic and build up a 3D template around the enclosure. Then I just move the 3D template onto other enclosures.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

JackSkellington

I use Front Panel for draw the templates, I draw all the component into the box.
Then I position on the box knobs, switches e bezel, for see how it looks just before I drill.
Sometime Inkscape help me, but I use it for graphic more than else.
While I drill I put pot, led, jacks into the box for some spacing test and see if them are centered, and go on.
I always well drilled.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Marshall Arts

Thanks - I am quite happy with my alignments ((http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21517.msg212468#msg212468)) as well, I was just hoping to save some time in the planning of new layouts, especially concering the vertical aspects of the designs ;-)

bcalla

I use InkScape.  I do a separate layers to manage proper spacing.
Layer 1 - Box (the outline of the enclosure top)
2 - the board or drill template if provided
3 - drill guide.  I put a crosshair wherever I will need a hole, lined up with level 2
4 - components.  Use the Pedal Vectorpack to place components, including off-board, checking for clearance
5 - graphic
6 - text
7 - top.  Use the Pedal Vectorpack to place knobs, toggles, LEDs, etc. to make sure I'm not covering text

By hiding/showing certain layers I can make sure everything fits as I design.

rmfroyd

Quote from: bcalla on March 24, 2016, 01:04:25 PM
I use InkScape.  I do a separate layers to manage proper spacing.
Layer 1 - Box (the outline of the enclosure top)
2 - the board or drill template if provided
3 - drill guide.  I put a crosshair wherever I will need a hole, lined up with level 2
4 - components.  Use the Pedal Vectorpack to place components, including off-board, checking for clearance
5 - graphic
6 - text
7 - top.  Use the Pedal Vectorpack to place knobs, toggles, LEDs, etc. to make sure I'm not covering text

By hiding/showing certain layers I can make sure everything fits as I design.

I cannot get the vectorpack to open with inkscape.  Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

rmfroyd

Nevermind, figured it out.

This vectorpack is awesome.

Marshall Arts

The vectorpack looks promising, and I know Inkscape quite well. Thanks!