News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Resistor/ Capacitor Kits

Started by jposega, March 22, 2016, 10:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jposega

So far I've been buying all my resistors and caps from Small Bear in just the quantities I need for my few projects. But I want to tackle several more projects and I'm starting to think that buying parts in bulk.

There are tons of resistor and capacitor kits on Amazon (Joe Knows Electronics for example). Reviews are good, but am I better off figuring out what the most common values I'll need for most projects are and just buying them from Tayda or Small Bear in larger quantities?

Jebus

Quote from: jposega on March 22, 2016, 10:13:43 PMam I better off figuring out what the most common values I'll need for most projects are and just buying them from Tayda or Small Bear in larger quantities?

Yes. When I started I bought one of those kits. I ran out of the common values in first few projects and then was left with bunch of exotic values I seldom need. Nowadays I buy the common values (multipliers of 1, 2.2, 4.7, 8.2 and so on) in bulk and when I need some exotic values for specific project I just buy a dozen or so.

BrianS

I purchased one mega kit off eBay after doing what you did. And yeah I have a bunch of resistor values that I will probably never use. If I would have known about Tayda before I bought the kit I would have went that route because the resistor leads are the same. I still buy from Tayda but now I buy most of my common value resistors from Allied, Verical or Mouser (1, 10, 33, 47, 100, 220, 470, 1 meg, etc.....). They all have like a $5 shipping option and you can normally find resistors for a reasonable price without having to buy a bulk amount).

jimilee

I buy resistors by the 100s when I run low. I keep a shopping cart as I build and when a coupon comes out, I buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

galaxiex

I buy common values 1K 10K 100K  2.2K 22K 220K etc... in lots of 100 from Digikey. Their bulk pricing is very cheap.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

jposega

Thanks everyone. Just started checking out Tayda and their "easy order" resistor page alone has me convinced I should give them a try when their next coupon code pops up. I won't need 100s of them, but just a couple dozen in each common flavor to do a few projects after I finish my undergrad in May.

john_p_wi

Quote from: jposega on March 23, 2016, 05:05:08 PM
Thanks everyone. Just started checking out Tayda and their "easy order" resistor page alone has me convinced I should give them a try when their next coupon code pops up. I won't need 100s of them, but just a couple dozen in each common flavor to do a few projects after I finish my undergrad in May.

That's like the corner dealer giving the kid his first hit.... soon it'll be more and more and then never enough.  Then it'll be more values, different types, different sizes, different power ratings etc, it'll never end - trust me....

gül

Quote from: jimilee on March 22, 2016, 11:45:28 PM
I buy resistors by the 100s when I run low. I keep a shopping cart as I build and when a coupon comes out, I buy.

I do the same thing.  ;)

strat68

IMHO, that's the way to go for resistors.    I never buy less than 20 at a time even if I only need 1 of a specific value.

stringsthings

Quote from: strat68 on March 28, 2016, 03:39:55 PM

IMHO, that's the way to go for resistors.    I never buy less than 20 at a time even if I only need 1 of a specific value.

Same here.  If it's from Tayda, I'll get 20 or 30 minimum.  If it's a weird value that Tayda doesn't carry, I'll get 10 from Mouser.  I also get my 100/200 lots from Mouser.   Mouser has the fancy ones, too.  ( those sausage resistors look pretty cool )
All You Need Is Love

standingzero

Quote from: jimilee on March 22, 2016, 11:45:28 PM

That's a great idea! Stealing this one:)