Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weird morning...

Started by juansolo, March 21, 2016, 06:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on March 22, 2016, 09:24:38 AM
Quotethe few of us that had Laserdisc players

You knew ANYONE that had a laserdisc player?!

I think I saw one at a tradeshow... ONCE... big LP size compact disc looking thing?

S-Video was fairly common at one point as the TV Out on video cards. Definite step up over the traditional composite video out, but it did mean having to scavenge around for a telly WITH a S-Video in.

After S-Video jacks, some manufacturers transitioned to unobtanium 13pin mini DIN jacks and the like, with custom breakout cables (RGB, composite, S-Video, a partridge in a pear tree...), and God help you if you lost the dongle, or pins got bent.

Not only had one, it was modded too!

It was one of these: http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-d703/pioneer_cld-d703.htm

Modded with the missing AC3-RF out.

I had lots and lots of films on it too... Part of me really wishes I hadn't sold it. The Keep in anamorphic, the Definitive Star Wars Collection (the last and best version of the original trilogy before Lucas went mental). Loads of others.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

Quote from: chromesphere on March 22, 2016, 10:21:31 AMSorry John, i meant more, cant believe super nintendo, PS, PS1, 2 etc are classified as vintage, felt like i was playing those consoles not so long ago.  Thats a pretty cool collection you have there!

This all comes down to your frame of reference. I class them as retro rather than vintage personally. I have the same problem with cars. If it was built before the 70's it's a classic, pre-war and it's vintage in my books.

But yeah man, PS1 is old now (still got 4 outstanding on that. But I just use my PS3 to play those), it was release 21 years ago...

matmosphere

Quote from: juansolo on March 22, 2016, 12:43:32 PM

I think I saw one at a tradeshow... ONCE... big LP size compact disc looking thing?

S-Video was fairly common at one point as the TV Out on video cards. Definite step up over the traditional composite video out, but it did mean having to scavenge around for a telly WITH a S-Video in.

After S-Video jacks, some manufacturers transitioned to unobtanium 13pin mini DIN jacks and the like, with custom breakout cables (RGB, composite, S-Video, a partridge in a pear tree...), and God help you if you lost the dongle, or pins got bent.

It was one of these: http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-d703/pioneer_cld-d703.htm

I had lots and lots of films on it too... Part of me really wishes I hadn't sold it. The Keep in anamorphic, the Definitive Star Wars Collection (the last and best version of the original trilogy before Lucas went mental). Loads of others.

My brother in law still has a laserdisc player for that very reason. Have you by chance heard of the Despecialized editions of the Star Wars films? I saw one at a friends house once and it was spectacular. They look great and are pretty much how I remember the films from my childhood.

I have the DVDs that have the unedited films as bonus disc. I think it was taken from the laserdisc transfer, but one an HD tv the transfer leaves a lot to be desired.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: juansolo on March 21, 2016, 09:58:21 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 21, 2016, 08:17:48 PM
Oh man. I just found the one way I couldn't eat bacon  :o

Normally enough beers will zap any unwarranted motivation Juan  ;D

Guessing you're celiac? I actually am strangely fond of rice bread (have a friend that is) and have had many a bacon butty in it.

Oh no, I love gluten  ;D 

It is me all the way. Bacon, butter and ketchup is something I have never heard of or seen anyone do on this side of the pond. Not saying it isn't out there here but I sure haven't heard of it.

Now bacon, egg and cheese grilled on some sourdough...now that gets a rise in my Levi's.

Ok, sorry for the derail boys  :)
John

juansolo

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 22, 2016, 02:09:34 PM
Quote from: juansolo on March 22, 2016, 12:43:32 PM

My brother in law still has a laserdisc player for that very reason. Have you by chance heard of the Despecialized editions of the Star Wars films? I saw one at a friends house once and it was spectacular. They look great and are pretty much how I remember the films from my childhood.

I have the DVDs that have the unedited films as bonus disc. I think it was taken from the laserdisc transfer, but one an HD tv the transfer leaves a lot to be desired.

Yep, Harmy's despecialized editions are the bollocks. I've got them all. Reminds me that I need to grab his updated ROTJ that he's done. They were a godsend after Lucas lost his marbles and I sold the LD player.

I've got those DVDs too. I was hoping they'd put some effort into them rather than leaving them as non-anamorphic, piss poor, low res transfers. He literally couldn't have made less effort on those.

It's a bit telling when a bloke in his bedroom, without any training and without access to the masters, can turn up something as brilliant as the Despecialized editions. Still I'm hoping Disney do it. But knowing Lucas, he probably had it written into the sale that they couldn't.

juansolo

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 22, 2016, 02:42:06 PM

Guessing you're celiac? I actually am strangely fond of rice bread (have a friend that is) and have had many a bacon butty in it.

Oh no, I love gluten  ;D 

It is me all the way. Bacon, butter and ketchup is something I have never heard of or seen anyone do on this side of the pond. Not saying it isn't out there here but I sure haven't heard of it.

Now bacon, egg and cheese grilled on some sourdough...now that gets a rise in my Levi's.

To do it properly it really just wants to be buttered bread, bacon and brown sauce. FOOD OF THE GODS.

That said, I have much the same reaction as you when Rej discusses with me the delights of Poutine... Which looks like someone vomited on a plate as far as I'm concerned.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: juansolo on March 22, 2016, 03:14:46 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 22, 2016, 02:42:06 PM

Oh no, I love gluten  ;D 

To do it properly it really just wants to be buttered bread, bacon and brown sauce. FOOD OF THE GODS.

That said, I have much the same reaction as you when Rej discusses with me the delights of Poutine... Which looks like someone vomited on a plate as far as I'm concerned.

I had to Google Poutine. Yikes. Rej, get on here and defend youself  :P

Of course, and mind you I don't eat them, but around these parts in the South one doesn't have to go too far to find chitlins.
John

Jebus

I've wanted to taste poutine since I saw it for first time in some Anthony Bourdain show. Weird, but definitely interesting.

By the way, the Raspberry Pi gaming console idea sounds really good. Now with RasPi3 out it would be super easy to upload more games and emulators over Wi-Fi when you get bored with the ones you got there. Juan, what type of gaming controller you have used with the Raspberry you got set up?

Its been about five months since I last played my Sega Megadrive (Genesis)..  :-\

juansolo

I've got it set up with this which controls the lot.

Ye Olde Hammond 1550G in black with an arcade stick and buttons fitted, switch for auto fire on a bit of vero and it's all made into USB by a teeny tiny board designed to go into old joysticks (if anyone has a mint Suncom Tac 2 stick going begging, please, please please... It was my ultimate stick.).

Details of it in mk1 form are here, including a video of it in operation: http://juansolo.co.uk/geekery/picade.html

I've since gone to a Pi 2, and the speakers are now out of a iMac and fitted to the monitor.

thesmokingman

will be checking back in on that article ... my n64 demands to be played
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

chromesphere

Quote from: juansolo on March 22, 2016, 07:24:18 PM
I've got it set up with this which controls the lot.

Ye Olde Hammond 1550G in black with an arcade stick and buttons fitted, switch for auto fire on a bit of vero and it's all made into USB by a teeny tiny board designed to go into old joysticks (if anyone has a mint Suncom Tac 2 stick going begging, please, please please... It was my ultimate stick.).

Details of it in mk1 form are here, including a video of it in operation: http://juansolo.co.uk/geekery/picade.html

I've since gone to a Pi 2, and the speakers are now out of a iMac and fitted to the monitor.

That's sweet man!  Looks far simpler then the wooden arcade controller I made a few years back.  I really have to bust that thing out and play some mame.  I've mentioned it on this forum before but will post the videos here if you want to look, gotta say its a pretty sweet controller.  Might have to build a colecovision controller like yours in a Hammond enclosure though, looks much simpler and quicker!

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

juansolo

That's substantial! Looks cool as hell though.

The 1550G was as small as the controller could be to get all the bits in (which are all a bit oversized), to remain practical, but also to be substantial enough to not move around on the desk and behave like an arcade controller.

It was pretty much perfect. Wiring isn't quite so pretty however...

matmosphere

This seems appropriate to put here. Sorry, not the best quality pic.

This is a picture of my Arcadiator build (which I happened to have on me) on my old arcade machine. I owned it for ~15 years. Not fun to move with. Gave it to my friend to put in his bar. If you're ever in Dayton Ohio you can go play a game of Double Dragon.

Double Dragon is a great game but after a week or two I could beat the whole game without getting hit.

juansolo

Nice. Technically I owned a Defender machine.

Technically in that a friend of mine who repaired arcade machines back in the day fixed one up and gave it to me. But it ended up living in his workshop as I had no space for it. Lost touch with said friend and I suspect the Defender machine has long gone.

I like the idea of bar-top clones. Which is essentially what the PiCade I did could be made into. It give the feel of an arcade machine, without being massive and without being tied to just one game. I definitely much prefer to play arcade games on that with the proper stick than I do on the emulator on my mac with a game pad. It just doesn't feel right.