News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DC-2 Dimension C clone - soliciting opinions on how to design the bypass

Started by aion, March 20, 2016, 08:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aion

Y'all and your obsessions with top mounted jacks... my goodness ::)

Every classic Boss & Ibanez pedal has side jacks. Get yourself some pancake plugs!

(tips over a table and hides behind it)

dbp512

Quote from: Muadzin on August 22, 2016, 09:06:41 PM
I wonder if you can do top mounted jacks with a 125BB? Sure its a little wider then a 125B and almost the same width as a 125 with side mounted jacks, but it might still be a centimeter or more less wide, depending on what kind of jacks you use. Hmm....

You can easily squeeze 3 open style jacks and a small size power plug along the top of a 125BB. I haven't tried them with the normal size power connector, but it might work with compact jacks. Although you'd need to move the PCB out of the way, which possibly means off board wires for the controls... The things we do for top mounted jacks.

Quote from: aion on August 22, 2016, 09:46:06 PM
Y'all and your obsessions with top mounted jacks... my goodness ::)

Every classic Boss & Ibanez pedal has side jacks. Get yourself some pancake plugs!

(tips over a table and hides behind it)

Now your putting me in a tough spot, I like your work and look forward to getting both the L5 (waiting on the enclosure group buy) and especially this, but thems some serious fighting words. Sure pancake plugs save some space, but top mounted saves even more. Which directly correlates with the number of pedals I can build and shove on my board.

Another question, if you don't mind; I've never seen an original, but it looks like it has the kind of 4 way latching push button that unlatches the other selection when one is activated. Is that a special part we'd need to source, or did you update it to something more conventional?
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

aion

Yep, so the original uses a 4-position "radio" style button, but the first one just pops the other three out - it's the equivalent of "no connection". I replaced the radio buttons with 3 standard DPDT toggles, and if they are all in the "off" position then that's the equivalent of mode 1 in the original. Then the toggles are for mode 2, mode 3, and mode 4. Each switch just controls the value of 2 resistors (rate and depth). The difference here is that, like the Behringer version but unlike the BOSS version, you can use them in combination with each other and get some "in between" presets. By using them in tandem, essentially it's like the rate and depth pots having 7-8 different preset positions instead of just 3.

stringsthings

Looking forward to this.   I think I'll get the L5 PCB at the same time.
All You Need Is Love

Yonatan

Droogie

Quote from: Yonatan on August 24, 2016, 02:09:05 PM
Are boards for this going to be available for purchase?

It's going to be available on Aion's site as part of his Pro Series of projects. No affiliation here, just a fan...
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

neandrewthal

What about just having a rate and depth pot? You could measure your pots as you rotate them and then mark where the presets are along the rotation.

dbp512

Quote from: neandrewthal on August 24, 2016, 04:41:19 PM
What about just having a rate and depth pot? You could measure your pots as you rotate them and then mark where the presets are along the rotation.

Cause thats too ordinary, and the Dimension-C is anything but. Aion is going for as accurate of a reproduction as possible, which includes the 4 button fixed presets. Sure it might not be as versatile, but each preset sounds phenomenal (at least it does on youtube, and according to others). I'm sure you could modify it if you want, but you might want to opt for the dimension p (similar design with pt2399 chips) or regular analog chorus instead.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

Yonatan

Will this one let you select multiple presets at the same time, unlike the original as far as I know, but like the Behringer clone?

dbp512

Quote from: Yonatan on August 24, 2016, 05:36:18 PM
Will this one let you select multiple presets at the same time, unlike the original as far as I know, but like the Behringer clone?

If you look on this page, Aion explains how it works, but the short answer is yes.

Yonatan

I see that I should have read the page before asking that! Anyway, glad to hear that it will use toggles.

Muadzin

The successor to the DC-2, the DC-3, did just that. And some more as it also had an effect level and EQ knob. Doesn't seem to be in the same kind of demand as the DC-2 though.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Muadzin on August 25, 2016, 08:56:16 AM

The successor to the DC-2, the DC-3, did just that. And some more as it also had an effect level and EQ knob. Doesn't seem to be in the same kind of demand as the DC-2 though.

I think the demand for the DC-2 went up due to 30 Seconds to Mars. The Guitarist (not Jarrod Letto) uses this Pretty Heavily on their second album. I'll admit that I 1: love that record and 2: want one because of it.