News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pcb help.

Started by ddj3891, March 19, 2016, 11:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddj3891

What does the square represent on a pdb for diodes and ic's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

selfdestroyer

Quote from: ddj3891 on March 19, 2016, 11:55:33 PM
What does the square represent on a pdb for diodes and ic's?

For an IC, this represents pin 1.

For a diode this usually means the Cathode... It can change from designer to designer. Thats why a schematic on hand is important.

Cody

ddj3891

Schematics. Of course. How silly of me. And I assume the circle on the ic in the picture represents the circle on the ic in real life?
I want to make sure before I ruin this pcb that Mr. Madbean worked so hard to create.

ddj3891

After reading over my response, I see that it could be read as a sarcastic comment. I must clarify that it isn't.

selfdestroyer

Haha no problem.. I have thick skin anyway if it was sarcasm.. lol

You are correct. Each IC has a indication of pin 1 on it. It could be a small dot next to the pin or it can be the half circle notch like in the picture.

Cody

lars

Just for clarification, I think all the small circles on madbean build documents represent VIAs. They just happen to fall near or on the IC chips on the PigButt layout. Take at look at the Rustbucket layout for example though, and the small circles are all over the place, sometimes more than one on the IC. It does not correspond to any manufacturer markings on the actual ICs.

m-Kresol

some ICs have the semicircle indent on one of the ends. That will line up with the drawing of the IC on the pcb. Other ICs dont have the semicircle indent and rather have a small circle indent which indicates pin 1. Some even have both...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials