News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD might be love/hate situation here.

Started by blearyeyes, March 19, 2016, 06:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I am having trouble bonding with this one.

brucer

Need more info.  Colour, shape, weight, controls, tones, setup? 

I considered that guitar before going with another.  Liked the ones I played though.

PhiloB

I had one similar.  Mine had the blacktop filtertrons that sounded great.  BUT, when it was time to play a guitar, I never picked it up.  I wanted to like it but couldn't bond.  I feel your pain.  Maybe I didn't give it enough time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blearyeyes

I'm a perfectionist with my guitars. Having said that.
Think I have a high fret on the bass side about #5 getting light fret buzz even with bridge set high. Stops after A. (neck)
G string was a little spanky in some places until I raised the bridge a little higher than I like. (neck)
Tuning is wonkey but mostly the nut is hanging up. (expected that)
Bridge P/U volume control is under the tremolo arm right next to the bigsby. (can't reach it easily)
The controls don't seem to do anything until the very last 1/16 of a turn. (wrong pots?)
Pickups don't have unique caricature. (not TV Jones fer sure)
Body isn't very resonant. (center block is working too well?)
No sustain to speak of. (bridge is crappy?)
Other than that it's very nice. (this sounds sarcastic but it is not my intention)

jimilee

Sounds like you got some work to do, make it your own.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

Quote from: jimilee on March 19, 2016, 06:42:29 PM

Yea Jimi, it's either beat it into submission or send it back. Problem is if I try to beat it into submission I won't be able to send it back...hmm. Catch 22

and...even though this is considered a low end Gretsch, for the money I paid, I shouldn't have to get to work, they should have gotten to work.

So if I replace the bridge, the nut, get the frets done, and replace the pickups, it should rock.

blearyeyes

Quote from: PhiloB on March 19, 2016, 06:22:17 PM
I had one similar.  Mine had the blacktop filtertrons that sounded great.  BUT, when it was time to play a guitar, I never picked it up.  I wanted to like it but couldn't bond.  I feel your pain.  Maybe I didn't give it enough time...

Yea I could give it time, but then I wouldn't be able to send it back. Another Catch 22

matmosphere

Most gretsch reissues have bridges that are not the same radius as the neck. You should look at replacing the bridge with something that has the same radius as the neck radius, it will probably solve a lot of your problems.

This forum discusses it a bit:

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/compton-tru-arc-vs-gretsch-rocking-bar-bridge.55240/

My brother put a tru-arc on his and has been much happier with the guitar since.  You will never work out the buzz issue, strong height problems unless you get a better bridge.

blearyeyes

Thanks for the information,

The bridges I see people using are fixed intonation solid type bridges. I get responses like "you just have to set it the best you can like a three barrel Tele bridge."

This model Gretsch has a fixed or pinned TOM bridge so the replacement will either be intonated correctly or not. I won't be able to move it. The radius will probably fix a lot of the issues, but I can't play a guitar without the intonation set correctly so that worries me. Catch 22. 

brucer

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 19, 2016, 06:39:27 PM
I'm a perfectionist with my guitars. Having said that.
Think I have a high fret on the bass side about #5 getting light fret buzz even with bridge set high. Stops after A. (neck)
G string was a little spanky in some places until I raised the bridge a little higher than I like. (neck)
Tuning is wonkey but mostly the nut is hanging up. (expected that)
Bridge P/U volume control is under the tremolo arm right next to the bigsby. (can't reach it easily)
The controls don't seem to do anything until the very last 1/16 of a turn. (wrong pots?)
Pickups don't have unique caricature. (not TV Jones fer sure)
Body isn't very resonant. (center block is working too well?)
No sustain to speak of. (bridge is crappy?)
Other than that it's very nice. (this sounds sarcastic but it is not my intention)

Ooooooohh ... ouch.  I totally get your Catch 22 situation.  I'm far from expert, but I've always bonded better with my guitars after a good setup, fret dress, fret level and bone nut install, but yeah: no returns after that. 

Is there a shop nearby where you can play others from the same line and see if it's an individual guitar vs model thing?  Have you tried any of the Electromatic Hollow Body models?  I don't own one, but I've found the 5120s and 5122s that I've played to be a bit more comfortable and lively than the centre block model.  Just one guy's experience.

blearyeyes

I'm sure you're right. Getting the centerblock might have been a mistake. Basically traditional Gretschs are hollow bodies.
I guess I expected to get more Cabrionita pick-up sound going on. Unfortunately the closest store is a guitar center and all I can think of when I'm in there is getting out of there...ha ha.

I was spoiled by my last guitar purchase. Flawless and several hundreds of Dollars less than this one.

matmosphere

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 19, 2016, 07:28:16 PM
Thanks for the information,

The bridges I see people using are fixed intonation solid type bridges. I get responses like "you just have to set it the best you can like a three barrel Tele bridge."

This model Gretsch has a fixed or pinned TOM bridge so the replacement will either be intonated correctly or not. I won't be able to move it. The radius will probably fix a lot of the issues, but I can't play a guitar without the intonation set correctly so that worries me. Catch 22.

I wonder if a mastery bridge would fit. Those things are sweet.

blearyeyes

That would be cool. Not cheap but built really well and appear to be worth the money.
I'll check it out, thanks.

nzCdog

+1

blearyeyes

Quote from: nzCdog on March 19, 2016, 08:10:48 PM

+1

Yea Jimi has a way of saying it straight up with a few words.