News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clipping Mods to Glitterrattii and Serendipity questions

Started by Rocktifier, July 09, 2011, 04:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktifier

I want to mod the clipping section of my Glitterrattii and Serendipity with switchable clipping options.  So if i understand this section of the forum correctly  (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1107.0) I can replace D1 and D2 of the glitterrattii with toggles and my choice of diodes.

Q1: Do I need to keep the direction of the polarity the same as the originals or can I flip one diode's polarity around for a different sound?

Q2: What about the Serendipity since it has three diodes?  Is they way they're arranged considered assymetrical?  Also, I know I could apply the same concept above, but I don't think I want three toggles.  Do I just put D1 and D2 on toggles and leave D3? Should I jumper D3, etc? Suggestions please.

Q3: When brian says solder drain and gate together of tranny, does that mean use those two as one pole and the source as the other pole?

Q4: I will try some of the suggestions listed on the link above for clippers.  Could someone tell me which are silicon, germanium, mosfet, jfet, etc?

Thanks!
Ryan

bigmufffuzzwizz

You really asking for the run down huh?  ;)

Q1: You should be able to flip them either way without causing any problems. Might matter in certain instances but when diodes are used for clippers it usually doesn't AFAIK. Try some sockets or use a breadboard and see if it really does matter.

Q2: You are correct about that configuration being assymetrical. It appears that on the serendipity the 2n7000 are used as clippers as well so its 3 diodes one way and 2 the other. Probably still works assymetrically though. I don't really have a suggestion for that one besides makes an extra little board with 2 different options for the whole clipping section, then connect that to the switch then to the board.

Q3: Yes you actually solder the 2 leads titled "drain" and "gate" on the 2n7000 together to make one lead. Then you can use it as a diode clipper which would be mosfet. Make any more sense?

Q4: Silicon = 1n4001, 1n914, 1n4148, Led's
      Germ   = 1n34a, 1n60/1n60P, 1n270, Bat 41's

Those are the most commonly used. I'm sure I missed some and others should chime in! I don't have a great suggestion for your second question. I'm sure someone else will as I haven't built either of these pedals yet.   :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

For those builds I socket the diodes and swap as I see fit.  FWIW I ended up running the stock diodes per the build docs for both.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Rocktifier

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on July 09, 2011, 04:22:41 PM
For those builds I socket the diodes and swap as I see fit.  FWIW I ended up running the stock diodes per the build docs for both.

I agree with Josh, the specified diodes are great choices. The Bat41/2n7000 are germ/mosfet so your using 2 non typical diodes already. From there adjust to taste. On DIYStompboxes Wiki there's a link w/ a  bunch of good mods and explainations of what each diodes will sound like.

jkokura

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on July 09, 2011, 02:47:01 PM

Q4: Silicon = 1n4001, 1n914, 1n4148, Led's
      Germ   = 1n34a, 1n60/1n60P, 1n270, Bat 41's

Close. The BAT41 is not a Germ diode. It is a Shottky. Also, LED's are considered to be Silicon but are their own type. Also, there is a type called Zener which are rarely used as clipping diodes, but may be tried if you'd like.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Didn't know that! I believe the 1n60P is also a Shottky similar to the 1n60 glass w/ black stripe germanium diode. It seems like their used to be lots of choices in the Germ department, but now the choices are more limited if you don't wanna spend a lot of coin.