News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fender Blues Jr - Mods

Started by daleykd, March 17, 2016, 05:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmokingman

that would definitely get you more lows and low mids and should shift a now shallower notch upwards from the blackface twin tone stack. if you're keeping the stock cabinet and speaker, it would help it feel a little less "small" or "boxy"
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Bret608

Looks like you're making progress! Let me know if you want to do the bias mod also. My amp is a green board revision "B", so the resistor that gets swapped out for the trimmer is almost certainly the same part number as on your board. This involves drilling a couple of small holes in the vicinity for the trimmer legs, as well as scraping away some trace covering to make a new solder pad. It's easier than it sounds. The part where he explains how to bias is probably the most detailed of the whole set of instructions. But, he also put a video on YouTube that does the job nicely too.

daleykd

Quote from: Bret608 on April 04, 2016, 08:09:42 PM
Looks like you're making progress! Let me know if you want to do the bias mod also. My amp is a green board revision "B", so the resistor that gets swapped out for the trimmer is almost certainly the same part number as on your board. This involves drilling a couple of small holes in the vicinity for the trimmer legs, as well as scraping away some trace covering to make a new solder pad. It's easier than it sounds. The part where he explains how to bias is probably the most detailed of the whole set of instructions. But, he also put a video on YouTube that does the job nicely too.
Thanks, man.  I think I've got the resistor and capacitor numbers for my board.  I'm definitely doing the bias mod (my parts should show up late this week, early next week; [Mouser shipping sucks, and I live less than 2 hrs away]).

On a side note, @midwayfair (Jon), I finally A/B'd my amp with my friend's last night.  I have a green board, and I'm like 90% sure his is a cream board; both are stock.  With a true apple-to-apples check, mine was DEFINITELY bass heavy and missing out on treble.  He agreed (which makes me feel less crazy).  When I turned up my treble and the bass/mid down a bit, we were closer to each other.

I have a good feeling about these mods.

daleykd

I'm am pleased to report that it sounds amazing now!  I have finished all the mods I wanted to do (maybe a new speaker some day in the future), but the thing has all the tone control I could ever want now.

Thanks for your help and education, gentlemen.

Bret608

Glad to hear it worked out! I need to think about a speaker upgrade for mine too at some point.