News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My new album - "The Howling Tongue of Each Other" :)

Started by midwayfair, March 16, 2016, 05:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Streaming on Bandcamp and you can take it home for name your price, including free.

These are the 13 songs I wrote during February (#14 was just a guitar part on a friend's song), recorded in the library and then obsessed over for 15 days after.

http://baltimericana.bandcamp.com/album/the-howling-tongue-of-each-other

It starts on track 5 due to the weird way feature tracks work, so if you want to hear the whole thing, hit back a few times.

Although this is the final version, and I've done my best to achieve the sound I wanted by comparing on as many sound systems as possible, I'm not a professional audio engineer and certainly not a mastering engineer, so if you have any suggestions for future improvements in my mixing techniques, please let me know.

I was very, very skimpy on interesting guitar effects this year. In fact, the only deviation from my standard 6-pedal gigging board -- and I didn't even use everything on that -- was the use of a wah pedal for 30 seconds in the guitar solo at the end of track 4. I did use the preamp I designed and the mics I built quite a bit. I left the production notes out of the liner notes, but I will include them in blog posts on batches of the songs, so if you are the sort of person who gets excited about that, please subscribe to my blog (in my sig). I'm not doing anything super fancy, but there are at least three tracks where I did some unusual things. (The acoustic sound on track 4 in particular is almost certainly unique.)

My main bit of pride is that I think my vocals are finally getting close to what I want to sound like. Not every take is as perfect as I could have gotten it (I don't like doing that for FAWM albums since part of the point to me is to capture a moment), but I think I really nailed tracks 4, 5, 10, and 11.

matmosphere

Very nice, I've heard five songs so far. It's a very impressive album, especially considering the timeframe you were working with. The vocals sounds gray and are very well suited to the music style, though I have to say your singing voice isn't quiet what I had expected.

Tremster

Listening now, half through the album. Wow, I really like this, thank you!

nzCdog

Some sweet songs there Jon, and nice guitar tones :)

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

midwayfair

midwayfair

It took me a bit to get to it, but I posted a gigantic breakdown of the entire album on my blog.

https://jonpattonmusic.com/2016/04/25/song-sources-the-howling-tongue-of-each-other-fawm-2016-part-1/

There aren't too many weird noises on this album (no guitar horns this time around, sadly), but everything from the writing process to the recording process is there for the curious.