News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GAS ATTACK- Who's the VOX aficionado? And Gretch too!

Started by blearyeyes, March 07, 2016, 03:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I've decided I'm going to buy thee most "not me" set-ups out of severe GAS as spoken of before.

Should I get this one? Vox AC30CX It has two Celestion 12" Alnico Blue Speakers..
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC30C2X

or this one? Vox AC30C2 Two Celestion Greenback 12" speakers.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC30C2

or this one? AC15C2 is 15 watts enough? Two Celestion Greenback 12" speakers...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15C2

AND, is there any reason I shouldn't get this? Gretsch G2420T Streamliner Hollowbody Bigsby.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G2420TGD

Wadda ya think?

matmosphere

That gretsch looks great! I say go for it. You might want to changing the bridge. Apparently most (maybe all) of the newer ones have bridges that are a different radius than the fretboard. My brother put a Compton bridge on his and said it made a world of difference in playability.

As for the AC-30, I don't know how you could go wrong with that.

pickdropper

Not sure about the Nato neck on that Gretsch.  Might be worth spending a bit more to get the maple neck on the standard 5420T.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

blearyeyes

Quote from: pickdropper on March 07, 2016, 04:03:44 AM
Not sure about the Nato neck on that Gretsch.  Might be worth spending a bit more to get the maple neck on the standard 5420T.

You are correct Mr. Pickdropper! If I bought a git with a NATO neck Putin would annex my neighborhood.

Decided on the G5620T-CB  Just remembered my feedback struggle with a 335 back in the day. I think the center block will make it funner to play loud. Georgia Green?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5620TCBGG

Muadzin

I think you should make no decisions without consulting your back physician first. And getting a membership to your local gym. You're going to need both if you're going to be hauling an AC-30 around.  ;)

galaxiex

Is there something wrong with a Nato neck?

I am unfamiliar with that wood. Are they not stable?
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

oldhousescott

If you're going to drop that much coin on an amp, by all means get the blues. They are loud, warm, sweet and perfect in the AC30. I think greenbacks do better in closed-back enclosures, but even there they still have a certain bark or rasp that you can't dial out. Just my .02, YMMV, etc....

blearyeyes

Quote from: Muadzin on March 07, 2016, 10:42:25 AM
I think you should make no decisions without consulting your back physician first. And getting a membership to your local gym. You're going to need both if you're going to be hauling an AC-30 around.  ;)

Wonder if the AC15 is any lighter....I'll look.

Aristatertotle

I would go with the blues simply because it's cheaper to buy it with the blues than it is to upgrade to them later. They're the traditional match.

After that, you can switch out one with another speaker. People mix them with greenbacks pretty often, and I think I read once that Brian May does a blue and a v30 in some of his.

I've got an ac30c2 with the greenbacks I bought used and I've been wanted to switch one out for a blue. It lacks that bit of top end that you expect from a vox.

blearyeyes

Quote from: oldhousescott on March 07, 2016, 05:00:15 PM
If you're going to drop that much coin on an amp, by all means get the blues. They are loud, warm, sweet and perfect in the AC30. I think greenbacks do better in closed-back enclosures, but even there they still have a certain bark or rasp that you can't dial out. Just my .02, YMMV, etc....

Blues it is.
I want the full VOX sparkle.

gordo

+1 on the Blue.  They're perfect with a Vox and have amazing top end without the shrill.

My thought was the weight on the AC30 as well.  Heavy little buggers, but great sounding.  I played an AC15 with an Alnico Blue for a few months (it wasn't mine unfortunately) that I loved.  Still more than loud but a very versatile amp.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

They make a AC15 with a single Blue...and a 2 twelve.

Gordo, where did you play with the AC15 ? Small rooms

Maudzin:

AC30 w/blues=73.59 lbs.
AC15C1X w/1 blue=48.5 lbs.

gordo

I did. Really didn't get a chance to open it up. I also repaired one and while I did crank it for the customer, it was a music store. Do they go weak with a bit of space?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Muadzin

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 07, 2016, 11:39:26 PM
They make a AC15 with a single Blue...and a 2 twelve.

Gordo, where did you play with the AC15 ? Small rooms

Maudzin:

AC30 w/blues=73.59 lbs.
AC15C1X w/1 blue=48.5 lbs.

Whoever invented the imperial system should be shot. So, 33,4 and 22 kilos respectively. I had a pedalboard once that weighed 30 kilos (66.14lbs). I know this exactly because it was the exact maximum allowable weight limit to be allowed by the airline on a plane so I measured. Because the road to the venue was broken up I had to haul it through the cobbled streets of Istanbul with a small hand cart. Closest I've ever come to a hart attack. My advice to you, if you plan to gig with this thing, get the AC-15. Only get the AC-30 if it stays at home or if you manage to score some roadies.

madbean

I have an AC15 (hand-wired series) with the Blue. It is loud as balls. I really like mine, although I have yet to modify it from stock. 15W on a single 12" speaker should be plenty for any band rehearsal / club gig / studio recording.