News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Loris Build

Started by BaronWilhelm, March 04, 2016, 02:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaronWilhelm

This is my first pedal build and was fortunate to have it fire up on the first try.  I won't show the guts because it is not a pretty sight.  I learned a LOT and am totally hooked.  I plan to build a test rig next with some breadboards and start experimenting with different circuits.  SO COOL!

m-Kresol

Welcome!
looks really good for a first time build too!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

BaronWilhelm

Thanks!  I'm a quiet one, but I hope to get to know of few of the pros around here over time.

beneharris

This may not be a helpful tip, but don't worry about drilling second holes for those little alignment tabs on the pots. Just clip them off. If you tighten the nuts down properly you'll never need them.

Great job on the first build. Post the guts, I promise it isn't any worse than my first build.

matmosphere

That's a sharp looking build. Nice knobs

Mojo Fandangle

Vey nice, especially for a first build. Welcome to the DIY pedals thing.
I'm building a couple of Slow Loris' at the moment. What diode options did you go with, and how do they sound?
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

AntKnee

Nice job on the first build. Welcome to our addiction!
Also post your first build here, if you like:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21604.0
And don't be afraid to show the guts! We all started somewhere.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Leevibe

Welcome, and, beautiful job! Perfect placement of those labels. That's one killer first build!

BaronWilhelm

Thank you everyone!  As for the diodes I used, just red LEDs and the 1N914 in the instructions.  I think they both sound pretty killer.  No guts photos, I managed to get it all crammed in there and working, now it can never be opened again :)

I wanted to build the Rat because I have so many digital versions of it and I wanted to A/B them.  I'm trying to upgrade my rig thoughtfully and DIY analog drive flavors seemed like a good starting point.  Maybe it goes without saying, but the modeled versions pale in comparison to this pedal.  I needed to prove that to my own ears.

A question for the pedal experts here... I've tried this through a small SS combo and my Vox AD60VTX modeling hybrid amp.  Since I play exclusively at low volumes, I've pretty much written off power tube distortion and that lead me to building pedals.  I'd like to bypass my Vox's digital modeling preamp and was thinking of mating an Orange Micro Dark tube-preamp with my Vox SS/Tube power amp (via FX loops) with drive pedals on the front end.  Thoughts?

Martan

Never tried it, but it might work. Depending on wether your effects loop send is buffered you may need a dedicated buffer to push the signal.

BrianS

You have now entered into the danger zone.  This is very addictive.  Great job.

AntKnee

I occasionally use a Vox Over the Top Boost pedal to add a warm tube pre tone. A little hard to find, but sound nice, IMO.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".