News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Axoloti: Cool SemiModular DSP

Started by raulduke, February 29, 2016, 12:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Bought one of these Axoloti boards ($60.00) and it is a really interesting concept.

http://www.axoloti.com/

It's almost like a real time Reaktor. You build patches in a semi-modular development environment, load them onto the Axoloti and play them in real time.

It can be used to build synths, but can also be used with a live audio input for guitar processing.

Thought you guys might be interested  8)

Some videos:

A cool interface shield Music Thing have developed (there is plenty of i/o on the axoloti for pots swithes etc.)

Muadzin

:o

Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick! The possibilities of that thing are endless. My head actually hurts.

drolo

this looks great, very tempting...
one thing I can't seem to deduce from the info on their site, does it only have memory to store one patch?

raulduke

Quote from: drolo on February 29, 2016, 05:24:45 PM
this looks great, very tempting...
one thing I can't seem to deduce from the info on their site, does it only have memory to store one patch?

I think so yes.

However, given the processing power of the unit (it is designed for building complicated synth instruments after all), and the modules available, it may be possible to build multiple effects into one patch and route between them within the one patch.

EDIT: Looking at the guitar demo video, the player is switching individual effects in and out with a midi controller.

Therefore that would be the way to do it. Build one big patch with all the effects in you need, and activate them with some external controls (midi, switches etc.).

drolo

hmm interesting indeed then
and another rabbit hole ...

nzCdog

Hmmmm... I know this must be awesome... but the demo was annoying. Please forgive. Kthanksbye :-[ ;D

Strategy

This hit my local area FB electronic musicians' group a few days ago, I'm definitely going to check it out!!!
Strategy

drolo

I'm really almost pulling the trigger on one but I'm just curious if you got to play with it a bit yet and if you have any comments about it :-)

EBRAddict

$87 shipped to the US.

I'm going to resist the impulse and wait to hear how it is before ordering one. Sounds intriguing but I'm concerned about the latency IRL.