News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Manufactured vs. Etched PCBs

Started by ajoel32, July 06, 2011, 12:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajoel32

First, I would like to say how much I LOVE this site! I have been truly inspired by the gumption and attitude of the DIY'er and I'm very excited to start my builds! Kudos to all the awesome workshop tinkerings going on!

With the recent advent of the discontinued projects, I understand that it is no longer possible to buy manufactured PCB's of several popular designs from Madbean. However, I understand it's possible to etch my own PCB from the template provided in the documentation.

My question may be absurd for the seasoned pro's, but I gotta ask anyways. Are there any sonic differences between pedals made with manufactured PCB's versus pedals made with etched PCB's? I'm inclined to say no, and that the only difference is that manufactured PCB's are easier to work with. Is that right? What about the double sided feature of manufactured PCB's versus single sided etching? Does that have any weight on sonic qualities between pedals?

I appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer!

sprayfe

You aren't a member of "the gear page" are you? Just kidding!!

No difference at all rather than layout- honest.

If anything etched boards have more tgp Mojo!

madbean

Generally speaking, so long as good design practice is followed the difference in one layout over another should not be noticeable. I do my best to follow these design practices even though sometimes you have to break rule here and there to get the job done.

It IS possible that a manufactured board COULD be less noisy in principle IF all the power rails are on the top side AND top traces go one way and bottom traces are orthogonal to those.

But, I personally don't worry about such things. Analog design is pretty forgiving. Digital is another realm and there are many more factors to take into account, as I understand it.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Nothing can substitute the feeling of accomplishment after doing your first batch of etched boards and they work!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals