News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TH Customs Jenny Greenteeth

Started by Mojo Fandangle, February 14, 2016, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo Fandangle

This is my TH Customs Jenny Greenteeth 'Weird Chorus' pedal.

It works (sometimes), but makes an uber loud buzz if you play too loud, then you panic and turn it off and it won't turn on again.
If you unplug then replug the power it works again, but it's now made a mega loud squealy robot death noise and I'm too scared to play it again.

Apart from that it's perfect.
At least it looks sorta Pretty.

Anyways, I think I've sort of accepted failure on this build, but it'll look nice on the mantle piece.

"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

matmosphere

It does look very nice. The wrap around art looks very cool. Did you coat it with a spray laquer?

I'd say stick with it. Troubleshooting can be a pain, but you've got to learn it somehow.

jtaormina

Agreed. Stick with it. Put it down for a bit and clear your head. Then try again. This sounds like an audio probe job. Perhaps a bad component.

wgc

Cool box.

Sounds like pt2399 lockup issue to me, connect pins 3&4 together.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=19607.msg190410#msg190410

::edit::

Actually, thinking about this more, Thomas is far too smart to not include that mod, check his build doc, and sure enough he got it in there.

I'd try another 2399, and verify output voltage of your regulator. Also double check all your cap and resistor values. My money is on a flaky 2399 tho.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jimilee

That is nice, I'm curious as to what it sounds like. Failure is not an option, reflow all your joints and check your values. There is a troubleshooting thread to help you after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Mojo Fandangle

Thanks to everybody for the troubleshooting advice.

I'll try the suggestions tonight. I did suspect it might be a PT2399 problem because I often have issues with them.
I'll try swapping the other IC's too, just for the sake of eliminating possible issues before I start annoying TH Customs for assistance with probing.
I will also try adding a pulldown resistor because I do get some popping problems.

I did try retouching all switch and wiring joins a few times but decided I think the problem is elsewhere.

If I have no luck I'll post a tech support vid of the issues I'm having.

Thanks again for all of the tips. I think I should stick with it, as suggested

PS: The laquer job is just 7 layers of spray enamel.
I did the paint job with Poska, which scratches very easily, so I put a lot more layers than usual.

Thomas_H

Just found this.

Id rather had seen this in the troubleshooting section so the build report would have been a little more positive :-)
First thing would be to replace the PT2399 and see what it does. It should not lock up as preventive meassures have been taken :-)
The power section would be second.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Mojo Fandangle

Quote from: Thomas_H on February 15, 2016, 10:56:01 AM
Just found this.

Id rather had seen this in the troubleshooting section so the build report would have been a little more positive :-)
First thing would be to replace the PT2399 and see what it does. It should not lock up as preventive meassures have been taken :-)
The power section would be second.

I don't mean to rubbish the pcb design. I'm assuming the problems are of my own doing or yes, PT2399 or component problems.

I always have PT2399 problems. I used one from a good source (DIYGP) but I'll try swapping it out with another as a first attempt.

|Sorry if my report seems offensive towards the pedals design. I was just trying to be comical about my failure.

I didn't put it in Tech Assistance because I wasn't really asking for help, but having received some tips I will persevere with it and hopefully get it running properly. From what I've heard, it's a cool pedal.
When I've had it working before problems kicked in it did sound exactly as I expected and I like the sound.

gordo

No, when I read the post I didn't get the impression you were tossing a jab at TH.  Troubleshooting is a frustrating/thrilling procedure, depending on if you fix it or not, but you sometimes need to either walk away for a while or go after it like your life depends on it.  That box looks WAY to cool to not work.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?