News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Buffer Bypass Switch

Started by sturgeo, February 07, 2016, 08:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturgeo

I'm working on a new utility pedal and would like to make the primary buffer removable from the circuit when necessary. 
I'd also like an always on tuner out, I've made a quick diagram to show my intended solution.

Will bufffering the tuner out as shown negate the effect of having a parallel tuner out when the primary buffer is bypassed?

P.S. ignore the opamp pins etc, purely to show signal routing.

GrindCustoms

We've also worked on a buffered bypass similar to what you're attempting, we had one issue with it, bypass would work and all, but i had a constant humm when bypassing the effect, will have to check back into it.

This is what we did:

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

kgull

Quote from: sturgeo on February 07, 2016, 08:52:22 PM
Will bufffering the tuner out as shown negate the effect of having a parallel tuner out when the primary buffer is bypassed?
Nope. I'd also lose SW1_A. Op amps have a REALLY high input impedance and won't have any effect on the signal. If you leave the input hanging like that you may get oscillation.

kgull

Quote from: GrindCustoms on February 07, 2016, 08:55:03 PM
We've also worked on a buffered bypass similar to what you're attempting, we had one issue with it, bypass would work and all, but i had a constant humm when bypassing the effect, will have to check back into it.
Might be the circuit itself oscillating. See if the hum clears up by tying the circuit input to ground when bypassed.

m-Kresol

I might be utterly wrong here, but I thought that an opamp buffer always has negative input and output connected?
I also would not use the inverting (-) input of the opamp for the signal as this might have affect some effects in a bad way, iirc.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

sturgeo

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 07, 2016, 09:12:47 PM
I might be utterly wrong here, but I thought that an opamp buffer always has negative input and output connected?
I also would not use the inverting (-) input of the opamp for the signal as this might have affect some effects in a bad way, iirc.

Sorry, as mentioned below the picture the pinouts are incorrect, it's only to show the basic signal flow.

Also, i forgot to label it but SW1_A pin 1 would be connected to ground.

sturgeo

As completely bypassing the buffer appears to cause issues with the tuner permanently connected i might change the output impedance of the buffer using a dpdt instead, selecting between the standard 560r resistor (K based buffer) and a higher value between 1-10k.

In my head this is the best way to make it play nice with fuzz and some vibe pedals, hopefully it shouldn't attenuate the volume too much  :-\

To the breadboard batman!