News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NTD

Started by Leevibe, February 05, 2016, 05:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

It's such a joy to have decent tools. These are some early birthday gifts from my mom. Not super expensive, but really excellent stuff.

iGaging IP54 digital caliper. The video shootout in the user reviews for this made me want one.

Free Eagles screwdriver set. When I first found these, I wasn't sure about the old school wooden handles, but the quality looked good. These things are so nice! The grind on all of the tips is really precise. The philips heads lock in perfectly, and the flat heads are hollow ground, so they make really positive contact in screw slots. These are USA made by Grace. I highly recommend them.

alanp

Quote from: Leevibe on February 05, 2016, 05:02:02 AM
iGaging IP54 digital caliper. The video shootout in the user reviews for this made me want one.

These are super useful. I've got a plastic one (no digital readout), and I want to replace it with a metal one (with no digital readout.) Next time you need to do some drilling, you'll love this thing for sizing parts.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on February 05, 2016, 05:25:56 AM
Quote from: Leevibe on February 05, 2016, 05:02:02 AM

These are super useful. I've got a plastic one (no digital readout), and I want to replace it with a metal one (with no digital readout.) Next time you need to do some drilling, you'll love this thing for sizing parts.

I have a plastic one that's only useful for gross measurements. Huge amount of slop and poor markings. I'll probably keep it around because it won't mar finishes. The new one has no slop that I can detect. I can zero it, fully extend it, and it closes right back at zero. And the jaws seem to measure consistently from the tips all the way up. I'm really impressed for a $30 tool.

Muadzin

Sweet! Having good tools is both a joy and a must.

pickdropper

A good set of calipers (digital or dial) is invaluable.  Congrats.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

peAk

....I came here expecting "New Tie Day"

;D

culturejam

Thought it was New Tele Day, but Tools are awesome!

I have a decent (but not super-awesome) digital caliper. Love that thing. It's invaluable for doing 3D modeling for replacement parts and other "functional" 3D prints I've been doing the last 6 months or so.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

peAk

What's so crazy Lee, I was just looking at Amazon this morning at THIS EXACT pair. I almost pulled the plug and think I will now.

I bought some calipers a while back from Harbor Freight for like $15 but they just really suck. They never return back to zero and the movement of the slide is also terrible.

So thanks for posting this!

pickdropper

Quote from: peAk on February 05, 2016, 10:31:49 PM
What's so crazy Lee, I was just looking at Amazon this morning at THIS EXACT pair. I almost pulled the plug and think I will now.

I bought some calipers a while back from Harbor Freight for like $15 but they just really suck. They never return back to zero and the movement of the slide is also terrible.

So thanks for posting this!

This non-zeroing issue is common for cheap calipers.  I got a set of Neiko digital calipers from Amazon and they were basically useless.  I replaced them with a set of Fowlers and those have been much better. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

peAk

Hey Lee, before I order these, can you tell me how the return to zero is?

I don't want to grab another cheap pair if they are going to have a similar issue to the ones I already have

Thanks!!!

kgull

Nice, I've been saving up for a mitutoyo caliper but these look damn good from the reviews and are a quarter of the price.

Leevibe

Quote from: peAk on February 07, 2016, 11:26:30 PM
Hey Lee, before I order these, can you tell me how the return to zero is?

I don't want to grab another cheap pair if they are going to have a similar issue to the ones I already have

Thanks!!!

I'll snap some pics at half time

Leevibe

These zero perfect every time. I will admit that I expected them to feel smoother, but maybe they need to break in? I'm happy with the apparent accuracy, and they aren't mitutoyus, so I'm fine with it.

peAk

sweet.

ordered.

thanks.

davent

Moms are great! Christmas, birthdays i'd just pass along catalog part numbers and these amazing tools would appear just like the ones i was hoping for!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?