News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First Builds - Post yours here

Started by AntKnee, February 03, 2016, 12:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

This thread got lost on the last forum crash, so I'm giving it another shot. I hope those who posted before won't mind reposting.

I was thinking it would be interesting to see everyone's very first pedal build, and to see where everyone started.

Here's my first. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who started with this one. I have no idea why I used a 125b for this. I guess I didn't know any better.

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

matmosphere

I was hoping this topic would come back.

My first build was a Bazz Fuzz that I called the Five-Oh (fuzz, cops.. my wife is clever, it was her idea). I built it on perfboard, tried to do the layout myself. I started with the tutorial on Tonefiend.com. It was a total bitch to troubleshoot but I some how got it working. I had been thinking about rewiring everything and trying to improve it, but I think i'll just start from scratch and do another one with the same design sometime.

It's not quite as much of a rat's nest as I thought it was, but it still isn't pretty. It can't believe the best I could figure out to keep the board from shorting was covering the back with electrical tape.

The lettering was done with a sharpie using my sons letter stencils. I did the side LED because I had already put the artwork on and needed somewhere to put it. It actually looks really cool on the side.

alanp

I subsequently shoe-horned a RoadRage and a DC jack in, and it got even worse-looking.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

beneharris

Here is mine, a Weener Wah II in a Vox volume pedal shell. One of these days I'm going to go back and add an LED, and a switch for multiple inductors.

AntKnee

nzCdog

First boxed build was a Madbean Slambox... Oh yeahhhh look at dem guts.  Still that clean to this day  8) :o ;D

George

Guys plz.... This is how its done. 8)
No in or out just Front...

....and back

It works fine btw

I am planning a rewiring for that poor fuzz this month  ;D

monkeyssj1

Quote from: George on February 12, 2016, 08:48:47 AM
Guys plz.... This is how its done. 8)
No in or out just Front...

....and back

It works fine btw

I am planning a rewiring for that poor fuzz this month  ;D

This definitely would've won build of the year.

Tremster

Red Llama clone from a Musikding kit. Don't have that pedal anymore, and no picture of the guts, but they were the worst you've ever seen.

Willybomb

I posted these in my thread about their cleanup, but, anyway.. I built these about the same time.

selfdestroyer

I have posted this a few times in the past. This was a Barbershop OD I did on vero from Mark's layout.

Fear the bag!

And this was my first attempt at etching a PCB

I hold on to these things to show growth. It feels good looking at these things and then looking at my new builds. I proves what can be accomplished by learning from others around this forum and taking risks/having fun.

Cody

AntKnee

Ziploc mojo!
I agree. Its great to see where all the experienced builders started, and its good to reflect back on beginnings and see how far we've come.

ddj3891

I just finished my first build. My craftmanship needs work, but it works and sounds pretty good. I call it "Fot Box" because it sounded terrible and farty during the breadboarding stage. But here it is, in all it's glory.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

solderfumes

Here's mine: Tonefiend's first DIY Club project, which as I understand it is an Electra Distortion.  Pretty much from day one I was busy stuffing way too much stuff into a pedal.

IMG_1700 by dickolaswang, on Flickr

IMG_1704 by dickolaswang, on Flickr

IMG_1726 by dickolaswang, on Flickr

IMG_1727 by dickolaswang, on Flickr

IMG_1728 by dickolaswang, on Flickr

Willybomb

Life got a lot easier when I decided not to bother with batteries..