News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dear Madbean, I never thought this would happen to me, but...

Started by icecycle66, January 26, 2016, 01:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jebus

Quote from: diablochris6 on January 26, 2016, 04:05:59 AM
Don't you know what it means to become a double-socket guy? It changes everything. I'd have to dress different. I'd have to act different. I'd have to grow a moustache and get all kinds of robes and lotions and I'd need a new bedspread and new curtains I'd have to get thick carpeting and weirdo lighting. I'd have to get new friends. I'd have to get double-socket friends. ... No, I'm not ready for it.

;D  ;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D

icecycle66

Quote from: alanp on January 26, 2016, 05:21:59 AM
Huh. Would have been easier to deliberately create a solder bridge on the bottom of the board (where the original socket is soldered in.)

Unless the solution we came up with wasn't really the solution. Then I would have to clean the board off (and repair the trace cut that would have been necessary).  I think trashing a 8 cent socket is much easier.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: icecycle66 on January 26, 2016, 04:25:55 AM
We didn't know the legs needed to be soldered together until after the board was populated.

We??

So, there was more than one person involved in the "double socket" decision? Makes it that much better...

Haberdasher

haha, youse guys.  angelo is helping us with a prototype since he has the original vintage pedal, and I don't.  so it's a prototype we are monkeying with, not a verified project he did that on.
here's the story.  one leg of that ic needed to be disconnected from the pcb, and connected to that other leg at the same time.  so it was either double stack & solder the legs of the second socket the way he did, or bend out and solder legs of that somewhat rare ic he wanted to protect, or cut a trace on top of the pcb, which is pretty crowded (and would have been permanent).  it was a good, non-invasive solution for the pcb and the chip.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

AntKnee

Better keep trauma to that IC to a minimum so it can smoothly transition back into the wild. You don't want PETIC coming down on you!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 26, 2016, 02:30:19 PM
haha, youse guys.  angelo is helping us with a prototype since he has the original vintage pedal, and I don't.  so it's a prototype we are monkeying with, not a verified project he did that on.
here's the story.  one leg of that ic needed to be disconnected from the pcb, and connected to that other leg at the same time.  so it was either double stack & solder the legs of the second socket the way he did, or bend out and solder legs of that somewhat rare ic he wanted to protect, or cut a trace on top of the pcb, which is pretty crowded (and would have been permanent).  it was a good, non-invasive solution for the pcb and the chip.

LOL. I see now... Rock on with your bad selves!!

What is the IC that is being protected?

icecycle66

Quote from: AntKnee on January 26, 2016, 03:12:57 PM
Better keep trauma to that IC to a minimum so it can smoothly transition back into the wild. You don't want PETIC coming down on you!

Each IC is tagged and tracked through the wild by the Mitsubishi corporation.  We have to request and obtain them from the Integrated Circuit Reintegration Preserve.

m-Kresol

Man this made is wonderful. Although I thought that you just did that accidentally. Doing it on purpose makes it only half as funny. Still hilarious though  ;D
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Haberdasher

I thought it was funny because it was like a dear penthouse letter, but I guess you guys never read those, right?  ;D
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Mojo Fandangle

"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

mrclean77

icecycle66

Quote from: Dallius Mcnoob on January 26, 2016, 11:39:43 PM
Mojo socket

That gives me an idea.
Solder a bottom socket onto a board.
The oxidize other sockets to different levels.
Put in your op amp, and feel that vintage mojo.

chromesphere

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 26, 2016, 02:30:19 PM

Fair enough...id say you 2 are still on the FBI watch list though...I know I personally am going to be watching you both with suspicion.   :o
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube