News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GGG ABY Box

Started by jball85, June 29, 2011, 11:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jball85

Has anyone had any experience with the General Guitar Gadgets ABY Box? I would rather not shell out hundreds of dollars for one if I can make one myself instead.

nzCdog

I haven't built this one but they are a very simple design and there are plenty of schematics for them around... don't buy one... build one!

gtr2

Quote from: nzCdog on June 29, 2011, 11:54:44 PM
I haven't built this one but they are a very simple design and there are plenty of schematics for them around... don't buy one... build one!

+1

The project file is even on ggg's site!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Myramyd

Very easy build. You don't get any easier.

If you aren't comfortable sourcing the parts yourself or drilling holes in the enclosure then then GGG kit is fine. You will be paying quite a bit more for it but, still far less than one off the shelf from GC.

J

jball85

Im curious about noise issues mostly. Also, do these types of pedals color tone at all like a non true bypassed wah?

kokohi5

Quote from: jball85 on June 30, 2011, 03:34:17 AM
Im curious about noise issues mostly. Also, do these types of pedals color tone at all like a non true bypassed wah?
I would think the only change in the tone would be if you're adding more cable length, but the box itself shouldn't color your tone if it's true bypass.

Myramyd

In some situations when you are in "Y" mode, i.e. using both outputs at once, you can have some issues--either tone suck and/or phase problems. If you plan to use both outputs at once, I would highly recommend using a buffer/splitter instead, such as jkokura's (found in the Member Projects).

If you just want to select between A or B only, then there are no real issues--no more than having a true-bypass pedal hooked up and "turned off".

J

jball85

Thank you for pointing that project out, it looks more promising than the GGG ABY, and cheaper. :)

sgmezei

I have been watching the GGG site for awhile and he hasn't had the ABY board in stock. I have a buddy who wants me to build him one but I guess I will start with a non transformer one.

Where should I place Jacob's buffer? Am I correct in thinking I can just place it right after the input?

Thanks Team

jkokura

It depends on how you want the buffer to act - do you want in line all the time or do you only want in line when it's bypassed?

If you want it always in line, then putting it between the input jack and whatever comes next is usually the easiest.

If you want it in line only when the effect is 'off', you can put it in the opposite side of the 'loop' created in the bypass connection on the 3PDT switch.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sgmezei

Basically I want it in there so that when both amps are engaged they will both be getting the same/strong/buffered signal. I am trying to to minimize "tone suckage" as i have read.