News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How are you guys storing/organising your stuff?

Started by Tdub, January 24, 2016, 08:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdub

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 26, 2016, 02:48:11 AM
I use small 2.5x3 inch clear bags.  These:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZZYAIA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

and 9 pocket/page baseball card holders.  This:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPURVRE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

I label everything with a sharpie and it makes it super easy to store a bunch of stuff in a single three ring binder.  I have a section for resistors, in order of course, caps, trannies, leds, diodes, etc.

For trannies and anything sensitive to static, I just trim down the little static bags from Smallbear or Mouser and slide those into the baggie as well. 

This system works really well for me and helps me keep my stock in order.  Speaking of keeping stock, attached is a spreadsheet I use for keeping up with ordering for projects.  I have a list of all the parts going down the left, usually with source and part name (although may be dated now), then I put a column for the project and fill in the needed parts.  The column on the far right calculates what I need based on my current inventory.  Admittedly you have to update that column's formula if you insert a bunch of project columns, but it's not too bad. 

Hope someone can find some use out of it!

I use the ringbinder/pocket system myself and I think it's amazing. It's super compact and easily navigable. I have a folder for caps and resistors, but I'm storing everything else in compartments.

I think we're on the same wavelength, thanks for the spreadsheet!

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 26, 2016, 02:48:11 AM

I use small 2.5x3 inch clear bags.  These:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZZYAIA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

and 9 pocket/page baseball card holders.  This:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPURVRE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

I label everything with a sharpie and it makes it super easy to store a bunch of stuff in a single three ring binder.  I have a section for resistors, in order of course, caps, trannies, leds, diodes, etc.

For trannies and anything sensitive to static, I just trim down the little static bags from Smallbear or Mouser and slide those into the baggie as well. 

This system works really well for me and helps me keep my stock in order.  Speaking of keeping stock, attached is a spreadsheet I use for keeping up with ordering for projects.  I have a list of all the parts going down the left, usually with source and part name (although may be dated now), then I put a column for the project and fill in the needed parts.  The column on the far right calculates what I need based on my current inventory.  Admittedly you have to update that column's formula if you insert a bunch of project columns, but it's not too bad. 

Hope someone can find some use out of it!

I really like that binder idea, I might have to steal it

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: dan.schumaker on January 27, 2016, 08:06:18 PM

I really like that binder idea, I might have to steal it

Steal away!  I stole the idea myself from somewhere on the interwebz.
Jonathan

selfdestroyer

I use part drawer bins and plastic organizers (seen on top of the drawer bins in the picture) that I get from Harbor Freight.

Here is my messy cave.

EBRAddict

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 27, 2016, 09:48:13 PM

Do you bake powder coat jobs in that oven indoors? I've seen people do it but I put mine on a portable table outside the garage.

playpunk

Cody your bench is beautiful. And so clean. I'm jealous.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Tdub

Damn, I'm totally putting a box around my drill press when I get home tonight.

davent

Quote from: EBRAddict on January 27, 2016, 09:59:01 PM

Do you bake powder coat jobs in that oven indoors? I've seen people do it but I put mine on a portable table outside the garage.

Looks to be the garage and close to the open door and... so neat, organized and spacious!

Nice space!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Jabulani Jonny

My wife would never let me get away with spending all my time in the garage.  It's funny, but we share the same desk in the evening.  I work on pedals and she works on whatever she's working on.  Let's just say she's gotten used to the solder fumes. 
Jonathan

juansolo

It's that sweet pine smell. Smells like... victory!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Quote from: EBRAddict on January 27, 2016, 09:59:01 PM

No powder coating for me... yet.. I use the oven in 15 min. burst to help dry paint. The oven and paint booth/box is the closest thing to the garage door. I crack the door and use a fan to blow out to the outside. Has worked pretty well for me. I also NEVER leave the oven on when I am not in the garage.

Quote from: playpunk on January 27, 2016, 10:09:31 PM
Cody your bench is beautiful. And so clean. I'm jealous.

Haha, thanks man. It was clean that day.... not most days.

Quote from: davent on January 27, 2016, 10:37:57 PM
Looks to be the garage and close to the open door and... so neat, organized and spacious!

Nice space!
dave

Thanks for the kind words and you are correct about the garage layout. Has served me well a few years. During the summer time here in the California valley, my wife lets me bring in most of my tools and part bins to the living room table. I think the real motivation is that she does not want to have to deal with my lifeless body in the garage from when I keel over and die from the heat. We never eat at the table and its always in some sort of craft disarray.

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 28, 2016, 12:33:50 AM
My wife would never let me get away with spending all my time in the garage.  It's funny, but we share the same desk in the evening.  I work on pedals and she works on whatever she's working on.  Let's just say she's gotten used to the solder fumes. 

My wife works on a lot of crafts also. So there is times when were both in the garage and working on varrious projects. I am truly blessed!

Cody

raulduke

That's a lovely setup Cody.

If you think that's messy you should see my current arrangement!

I'll have a tidy up 1st before posting any photos thought  ;)