News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point SDX2 prototype board high pitched whine : SOLVED : )

Started by pogart, January 20, 2016, 09:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pogart

High pitched whine when effect is engaged. I had posted this before the big crash and had tried the suggestions from Jon in removing and adding a jumper to the resistor pads in line with the 9v in , and a few others . The whine is still there. I put back resistors I had removed. Replaced all IC's with new and same result. Wired for true bypass and used the corrected wiring for jack 1 was per updated build doc. No subs and here are voltages. I am stumped as to what do do now, so an S.O.S to the more skilled than me : )
IC 1: 4.34/4.35/4.36/0/4.36/4.36/4.46/8.73
IC2 : 5.0/2.49/0/0/2.96/2.49/1.26/1.26
         2.50/2.50/2.49/2.50/2.50/2.48/2.49/2.50
IC 3: 5.0/2.40/0/0/3.0/2.49/1.51varies/1.6varies
        2.49 on pin 9 to 18
IC 4: Varies/4.2/4.2/0
         4.2/4.4/varies/8.48
IC 5 :4.35/4.35/4.36/0
        4.36/4.36/4.37/8.74
IC 6: 4.36/4.36/4.36/0
        4.36/4.36/4.37/8.74
BC 550 :Q1: 2.43/0.587/0.037
            Q1: 2.43/0.588/0.037
            Q4: 2.96/3.3/8/74
DC: 9.03

m-Kresol

did you make the trace cut and add the resistor as mentioned in the build doc?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pogart

I added the resistor but not the trace cut. I was ok with it cutting off if turned down completely. Would that possibly cause the whine?.

m-Kresol

I actually don't know, but I guess it rather isn't the culprit. I just thought it might be a start. I guess you checked all your parts for value (especially the caps...)?
Do you have another power source you can try? Can you audioprobe to see where the whining is introduced and does it occur in both tone modes?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pogart

Thanks for the ideas man. I rechecked the caps/resistors again, all seem correct but will do a one more go over just to make absolute sure. The whine is present in both modes, adjusting the knobs (speed,modulation etc) and the whine changes accordingly, speeds up, slows down, modulates, volume etc. I can hear the delay as well, it is clear and not distorted but the whine is clear as well, not distorted. I tried 3 different power supplies that work with other pedals. I will audio probe today and see what I can find. Needed a break from this one for a few days, it was frustrating.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pogart on January 23, 2016, 03:41:29 PM
I will audio probe today and see what I can find. Needed a break from this one for a few days, it was frustrating.

I think this is going to be the best way to track it down. You can find out where the whine is being introduced in the circuit and start working around that. Hope you track it down.

Cody

pogart

pogart

Audio probed this today and I hope I describe what I found well enough to help figure out where I should focus. Reading through what I posted seems random to me so apologies ahead of time if this all adds up to making no sense : )
DC jack: whine is present with multiple power sources.
Pots: depth/rate:clean no whine Volume 1: pins 3,2 whine is present. pin 1 clean. Fdbk,Sub,Mix1: pins 3,2 whine, pin 1 clean. Mix 2:pin 3 whine, 2/1 clean. Delay: clean. Gain: pins 3,2,1 whine. Tone 1: clean. Tone 2 : pin 3 whine is very loud, pin2/1 not as loud.
Volume 1 trimmer:pins 2,3
A/t switch top side of board left row and middle row :whine, far right row : clean
Q4: C=whine. Q1/Q2: clean
Regulator: input=whine, but not on output.
IC1: pin 1,2,3,5,6,7= loud, 8
IC2:pins: 7,8,9,12,14,15= faint.
IC3: same as IC2 but pin15 is very loud.
IC4: clean
IC5: pins 1=(loud),2,3,5,6,7=(loud),8
IC6 pins 1=(loud),2,3,5,6=(faint),7,8
S1 :square pad yes.
Foot switch pads on the board:R,O,R2,O2,S:whine.
I checked caps and resistors as well noticed certain ones were really loud. C6,8,5,27,9= loud. C54,32 =faint
D8 D9=loud. D3=faint.
Resistors that were concentrated around IC2and IC3 were quite loud as well.

pogart

Tried pulling the IC's one at a time to see if the whine went away. Slightly lower in volume when they were removed one at a time. 2 at a time etc. Even there when all IC's were removed. Any suggestions?.

selfdestroyer

Here's a stupid question, have you tried just hooking up the output and nothing in the input? Just trying to help with process of elimination. Is the whine present with no input?

Cody

pogart

Thanks Cody, any suggestions are hugely appreciated. I just hooked it up with just the output and the whine is there in both the outputs and one at a time. It almost sounds like plugging output into the input jack type of whine. I was looking for the thread for the new wiring on this due to the ticking issue but could not find it. Is it possible I should have jumpered the J1 pads since I connected the ground from J1 to ground on J2 jack and ran input wire from J1 to the 4PDT (from the left of the switch: 3rd row?)

pogart

Solved the whine : )
Turns out it was the fricken' power supply. I tried 3 and then decided to plug into the power brick I have and voila. No more whine, and it sounds super cool. It does seem a little motor boaty so will swap out the pt2399's and see if that fixes that.  Big thanks to the members that helped out with advice and ideas. Now I can box this thing and enjoy it.

jimilee

Great to hear. That happened to me with a phaser once, drove me nuts.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pogart

I was slowly becoming a puddle of despair with this thing I swear. But now all smiles.