News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sourcing mojo parts

Started by NormalChannel, January 19, 2016, 07:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormalChannel

Where do you guys buy your carbon comp resistors, tropical fish caps, axial electrolytics, etc?

Is there a good website or what?

Humbly request you fellows point me in the right direction.
31.69 nHz = once a year

midwayfair

(a) Smallbear; and
(b) whyyyyyyyyyyy. :P

kgull

Quote from: midwayfair on January 19, 2016, 08:10:22 PM
(a) Smallbear; and
(b) whyyyyyyyyyyy. :P
QFT

If you must have the mojo, in addition to smallbear you can check out places that sell parts for old tube amps (I like http://www.tubesandmore.com but YMMV). They tend to have a lot of NOS parts for vintage amp repairs but they can definitely double as mojo.

davent

If you buy them from Mouser do they still contain The Mojo?

Axial caps and carbon comp resistors are available there.
... and two others off the top of my head,
Digikey
Just Radios

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

When I built the 5E8A amp (of ungodly volume, to me, anyway), I consulted an expert. Ryan, of The Amp Shop, NZ. (He is seriously clued up.)

I've been advised that it is NOT a good idea to use carbon comps everywhere, so I asked the expert where I should put in high quality modern resistors, and where resistors of ancient, dodgy qualities would improve the sound :)

I've also been further informed by him that if you want to make an amp sound warmer (insert-adjective-here), change the actual value of a relevant cap.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

NormalChannel

Thanks for the links and info, everyone!
31.69 nHz = once a year

StevieM17

If you're trying to get a lot of carbon comp resistors at one time check out electronicsurplus.com, there was a couple values that I use a lot and I can get them there usually for 3 cents a piece and they are good allen bradleys.