News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A couple of Aion Electronics builds

Started by Timko, January 19, 2016, 03:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

First up is the Andromeda Overdrive, based off of the Nobels ODR-1.  I owed a friend money for a concert ticket, so I built him a pedal of his choosing.  He plays a lot of red dirt country, so I suggested this build.  And I built one for myself as well :).  This thing is huge!  It's got so much headroom for the drive to just flow through.  The tone knob is really cool too and lets you dial in some great harmonics.  I was rocking this with my Gretsch hollow body through an old Ameg Rocket, and it sounds killer.

The other one I built was the Solaris Fuzz Face.  I didn't own a Fuzz Face, and I'm slowly making my way through the old Germanium pedals (I have a Rangemaster that was my 4th build).  The transistors were sourced from Barry at GuitarPCB and really sound great.  I had played through a friend's modern Fuzz Face, and I understand why this type of pedal should only be bought from a builder that's got the correct components. 

A note on the graphics here:  I had been printing my waterslides using a transparency setting at an Office Max using their laser printer, and appearently Black is the only color that really can cover up the paint on the enclosure.  I was trying to do a white paint for the text, so I painted the top of the pedal white.  Unfortunately, the red on the graphic wasn't opaque enough to cover up the white.  So it sort of looks like there's a sticker on the top.  While it didn't come out as clean as I wanted, it does have a vintage look to it, which is all right.

lincolnic

I really dig the look of that overdrive!

LJangel

these look great.  I just picked up a couple of their boards to build too.  the refractor klon clone and halo fuzz.  haven't started them yet.

Timko

Quote from: lincolnic on January 19, 2016, 05:59:51 AM
I really dig the look of that overdrive!

Thanks!  My buddy has a lot of custom work on his board (custom switch system, a lot of botique pedals), and everything has green lights.  So I decided to go with that.  The graphic at the bottom is the same graphic on the key from the 70's movie "The Andromeda Strain," which was based on an Michael Crichton novel of the same name.

aion

WOW! I didn't see these the first time around, but great work, those are fantastic!

Cortexturizer

Awesome stuff! Those are great choices and Aion is a great place to buy from
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

selfdestroyer

Same here, I did not see them either. I really like the artwork of the Andromeda and the color choices with the knobs. Great job.

Cody

playpunk

Those nobels pedals look fantastic. Great work all around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

AntKnee

Looks good.
Getting white fonts right is tricky. You basically have to print out the background color and its nearly impossible to match your pedal's finish perfectly.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Timko

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 26, 2016, 09:02:57 PM
Same here, I did not see them either. I really like the artwork of the Andromeda and the color choices with the knobs. Great job.

Cody

Thanks! The guy who I built this for changes all of his LEDs out for green Caine the Nobels had green in the color, I knew I wanted to something with green. And I knew the moment I saw the knobs I knew they were perfect.

Timko

Quote from: AntKnee on February 27, 2016, 07:13:38 PM
Looks good.
Getting white fonts right is tricky. You basically have to print out the background color and its nearly impossible to match your pedal's finish perfectly.

The key is to have the office supply place print them as transfer instead of transparency. ive found that Krylon black matches well; my Multiplex is black wth white font and it turned out very professional looking.