News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TC Ditto, Ditto X2, or Jamman Express XT?

Started by Leevibe, May 16, 2015, 04:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Quote from: add4 on May 17, 2015, 03:24:36 PM
How about the controls of the ditto? i've heard that the double tap (for ending a loop?) makes it hard to be really precise in the loop, which can defiantly be an issue. i'm looking towards the ditto x2 because of that

Yep. Or put it in a true bypass loop. I just found a Ditto for $15 on CL with a suspect stomp switch. I'm thinking I'll spring for it. Worst case I can build something else into it.

Rockhorst

Quote from: add4 on May 17, 2015, 03:24:36 PM
How about the controls of the ditto? i've heard that the double tap (for ending a loop?) makes it hard to be really precise in the loop, which can defiantly be an issue. i'm looking towards the ditto x2 because of that

With the Ditto X2 you get the option of having a dedicated stop button, no double tap required.

Frank_NH

OK, here's my $0.02 on this topic.   :)

I've owned a BOSS RC-20 and currently have a TC Electronics Alter Ego X4, which has a built in looper (which is functionally equivalent to the Ditto).  I also have a Digitech RP1000 which has a looper function, but I'll ignore that for now.

What I have noticed is that the Alter Ego's looper has a nice sound BUT the loop is not quantized.  Accordingly, I have trouble getting a phrase to sync on the beat.  A looper sounds especially bad when the loop suddenly ends and begins again off the beat.  If you're quick with your foot, you can get better at syncing the loop, but I'm not that good.  In addition, the switches on the Alter Ego seem a bit flimsy for constant use as a looper.  In contrast, my RC-20 was very robust switch-wise, and because it quantizes your loop, I didn't have problems syncing my loops and overdubs.  The sound quality was excellent too.  For a looper at a reasonable price point, it's hard to beat the RC-20, and I'm planning (eventually) to get the XL model which has the undo/redo feature.   As always, YMMV.

nzCdog

i had a ditto x2.  sounded ultra clean, was great for testing things etc.  sold it because it was only good if i was playing by myself or with a drummer using a metronome... they're great fun tho