News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

POLL: How about SMD?

Started by jubal81, May 02, 2015, 11:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you build an effect if it required a few parts only available in SMD package?

Sure, I'll give it a go. No problem
I've never done SMD, but I'm willing to try
No way. I'm not comfortable soldering those
No way. I can solder them, but it's more trouble than it's worth
Maybe. It depends. I dunno. Whatever.

jubal81

Since there are some parts that are only available in SMD packages these days, I'm wondering where everyone stands and what the interest would be for projects that are mostly through hole, but would require a few SMD components (Transistors and ICs).

Made the voting so you can change your answer later if you change your mind.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Luke51411

I've already gone the route of smd jfets and adapter boards, wouldn't mind skipping that step!

GrindCustoms

I personnaly think that the best is to have for those specific parts, both media on the board layout, SMT and Through hole...

That way those who are already using SMT can simply solder them directly on board... and TH users still have their option and can try the SMT route if they wish too aswell.

It's not restrictive and would'nt take much more place on the pcb themself.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jubal81

Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 02, 2015, 11:59:03 PM
I personnaly think that the best is to have for those specific parts, both media on the board layout, SMT and Through hole...

That way those who are already using SMT can simply solder them directly on board... and TH users still have their option and can try the SMT route if they wish too aswell.

I agree. You know I like doing that with my JFET drives, and I like that idea. However, there are parts out there that just don't have a TH option.  :(
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jubal81 on May 03, 2015, 12:02:12 AM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 02, 2015, 11:59:03 PM

I agree. You know I like doing that with my JFET drives, and I like that idea. However, there are parts out there that just don't have a TH option.  :(

Are you speaking the 5pin dual JFET with common Drain?... if yes.. i think that having the TH individually with their individual drain could still work, just a matter of one resistor that you either add if going TH or ommit if going SMT.

But i agree that some IC or other power management components are not available TH... for that,  i think that it's the circuit they'd be on that will define if people are willing to plunge into SMT  to have a grab of that sound.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

cooder

I have done some smd parts, mainly the jfet thing like on your Orange Goblin boatd and having both TH / smd options is great where possible.
I'm looking forward to doing more smd work BUT I need to get a stash of parts for that, which seems to be my bigger question at this stage...
Have to do some research into what's the best option to get smd parts outside of US from trusted sources at reasonable cost.
BigNoise Amplification

icecycle66

There could also be a "it would be a pleasure" choice.

For any of the people worried, it's just like anything else, once you do a few SMD they aren't so scary.

midwayfair

I dunno ... I've had some trouble with SMD in the past ... I don't think I'm doing it right.

jubal81

Jon, thanks for bringing that back - one of the all-time epic builds.  ;D
- David Fair

chuckbuick

Quote from: midwayfair on May 03, 2015, 04:03:06 AM
I dunno ... I've had some trouble with SMD in the past ... I don't think I'm doing it right.

Here's the problem.  Someone at Mouser accidentally switched our orders.  To answer the question, I'd probably be willing to try SMD.

peAk

"I've never done SMD, but I'm willing to try"

alanp

I got my Mutable Instruments Braids board going, how hard could these pedal things be?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

Sounds good. I will convert the Dirtbag to SMD today.

brejna

I am definitely trying it! I have also prepared one SMD project which combines through hole and SMD parts..

Muadzin

I wouldn't be averse to doing a few SMD parts. As long as they are being included with the PCB being sold.

The actual SMD soldering I have no problems with. I bought a few relay kits from Thomas in the past and they came with an SMD octocoupler, no problems soldering them to the board, I've bought SMD J201's and conversion boards from Chromosphere and that worked well as well. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a full SMD kit. But actual SMD sourcing the parts myself? I have no experience whatsoever with that. And people keep on throwing the name Mouser around as if that is the solution to the problem, but I'm from Europe so ordering anything from Mouser is just simply not done. Just too damn expensive. It would be just simpler and cheaper to actually buy the unobtainium parts that the SMD parts are supposed to replace.