News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NOAD! Glorious glass and epic verb and trem!

Started by Luke51411, April 26, 2015, 05:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

Favorite setting so far: loudness 2 reverb:10 tremolo on the reverb has such a long decay it sounds like a delay with the tremolo on. Very spacey ambient sounds available. Stick a delay in front of it for extra spacey fun! This would be a great surf rock amp. Sounds great goosed with a SHO as well!

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

billstein

JakeFuzz

Nice score! That one is super clean. Gibson amps are great finds. I restored a '63 GA-5T Skylark recently that sounds excellent. I got it on c-list for $100! The tremolo and slightly crunched up sounds on these things are incredible.

Luke51411

Quote from: JakeFuzz on April 26, 2015, 10:52:53 PM
Nice score! That one is super clean. Gibson amps are great finds. I restored a '63 GA-5T Skylark recently that sounds excellent. I got it on c-list for $100! The tremolo and slightly crunched up sounds on these things are incredible.
Nice! I paid quite a bit more than that but well within the typical going rate especially for such a clean and original unit, especially considering what an equivalent fender would cost...

davent

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 26, 2015, 06:40:06 PM
Quote from: Luke51411 on April 26, 2015, 06:14:54 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 26, 2015, 06:12:46 PM
Very nice grab! Never heard one of those.

It's probably due for a cap job tho... as they have a shelf life of 10 years usually.
How would I know? It's very quiet as in not noisy, no hum. Is it just the power filtering caps that need replaced?

GeoFex is always a good place to start :)

http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/filter.htm

And it likely be anything that is an electrolytic as they dry, NP caps are usually good, though.. you might see PIO sweating but still working *properly*.

That is great, lucky you!

If the seller had it for 20 years you could check back with him, see what if anything he had done to it.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Luke51411

Quote from: davent on April 26, 2015, 11:01:20 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 26, 2015, 06:40:06 PM
Quote from: Luke51411 on April 26, 2015, 06:14:54 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 26, 2015, 06:12:46 PM
Very nice grab! Never heard one of those.

It's probably due for a cap job tho... as they have a shelf life of 10 years usually.
How would I know? It's very quiet as in not noisy, no hum. Is it just the power filtering caps that need replaced?

GeoFex is always a good place to start :)

http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/filter.htm

And it likely be anything that is an electrolytic as they dry, NP caps are usually good, though.. you might see PIO sweating but still working *properly*.

That is great, lucky you!

If the seller had it for 20 years you could check back with him, see what if anything he had done to it.
dave
He said he hadn't had anything done. I peeked under the hood and the one filter cap I could see looked like it might be original :o I'm pretty sure I saw a 63 date code on it. It didn't look bulged or like it had leaked or anything. I didn't open it all the way up as I want to play around with it for a while before getting into any projects since it seems to be working properly.

lincolnic

Those old Gibson amps are great. Nice find!

raulduke

That's a great looking amp.

Definitely has the 'Mojo'.

pryde

Great find. I just recapped a falcon about 2 months ago. If the electrolytics are original you really need to replace them when you get a chance.

Luke51411

Quote from: pryde on April 27, 2015, 11:55:24 AM
Great find. I just recapped a falcon about 2 months ago. If the electrolytics are original you really need to replace them when you get a chance.
Duly noted I will get some caps ordered next time I make an order. I think this is the proper schematic. If I understand it correctly, I'll need 5 20uf and 1 10uf 500v caps?

pryde

If that is the correct schematic then I am counting 5 20uf and 2 10uf electrolytics.

I seem to remember there being 20, 20, 10uf in the filter section of the one I serviced but I could be wrong. Your schematic shows a 20, 10, 10uf in the main filter section, the rest being tube cathode caps.

Best to have a look in there to get a proper count. While you are at it, change to a 3-prong grounded plug if not already done.

Luke51411

Quote from: pryde on April 27, 2015, 01:38:32 PM
If that is the correct schematic then I am counting 5 20uf and 2 10uf electrolytics.

I seem to remember there being 20, 20, 10uf in the filter section of the one I serviced but I could be wrong. Your schematic shows a 20, 10, 10uf in the main filter section, the rest being tube cathode caps.

Best to have a look in there to get a proper count. While you are at it, change to a 3-prong grounded plug if not already done.
Yeah it was converted to a 3 prong plug already, the previous owner said it bit him a few times before he had that done  :o
I'm a little confused about the schematic because there are a few versions of the amp and I think it changed not long after the one I have.

davent

I see;
Four 20uF's as cathode bypass caps so low voltage.
One 20uF resevoir cap after the rectifier so high voltage.
Three 10uF smoothing caps so again high voltage.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Luke51411

Quote from: davent on April 27, 2015, 03:33:20 PM
I see;
Four 20uF's as cathode bypass caps so low voltage.
One 20uF resevoir cap after the rectifier so high voltage.
Three 10uF smoothing caps so again high voltage.
dave
Sounds about right. I'll take a peak in there before ordering anyway. I need to build a cap discharge apparatus aka solder some aligator clips to a high watt resistor. Also I've seen mentioned to strap a resistor across the power filter cap so that it will discharge on its own when the amp is off, is this something I should consider doing?