News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosure labeling/finishing anyone use letter punches like this?

Started by Luke51411, April 25, 2015, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I'm thinking about getting a set of these for labeling. In interested in opinions, if anyone uses something similar. Will 1/4" be big enough? I've seen some 3/8" sets but they cost 3 times as much.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171493822180

jimilee

I think rej went through a phase briefly where he used them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Those are, from my experience, super-hard to use. Well, they are ease to use. They are hard to use in a way that makes for a nice-looking enclosure.  :D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Luke51411

Quote from: culturejam on April 25, 2015, 08:03:48 PM
Those are, from my experience, super-hard to use. Well, they are ease to use. They are hard to use in a way that makes for a nice-looking enclosure.  :D
Hmm ok. What is the issue? They don't play well with hammonds? I've also thought about making faceplates with them?

Dminner

I have a set and have tried to use them to label knobs....I can't say they really look good. I have 1/4" ones like the link. The pics of them are deceptive. The actual sharp part is very small so the letters are very thin...

Luke51411

culturejam

There are two issues with these punches:

1) It's hard to keep the letters straight relative to each other.

2) The amount of force it takes to make a decent imprint is also enough to deform the enclosure. So it ends up all dented looking by the time you're done.

davent

Quote from: culturejam on April 25, 2015, 08:39:19 PM
There are two issues with these punches:

1) It's hard to keep the letters straight relative to each other.

2) The amount of force it takes to make a decent imprint is also enough to deform the enclosure. So it ends up all dented looking by the time you're done.

Yes, you really have to bash them to get then to show on a Hammond box, if symmetry and neatness are the order of the day forget it, but if that's the effect you're after go for it.

I've a set that i've used to stamp with paint.

That said Liquitone at diystompboxes uses them and produces really good looking pedals, he's used them directly and to make face plates.

example here; http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg974385#msg974385
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

I strongly suspect you'd need a small block inside the enclosure (holding it up, slightly) under the surface you're pounding.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on April 25, 2015, 09:17:16 PM
I strongly suspect you'd need a small block inside the enclosure (holding it up, slightly) under the surface you're pounding.

Yep. That's how Farndurk used to do it. He made some kind of hardened steel block for each enclosure size.

marmora

Yes to everything everyone else said. I have a set I got really cheap and I got what I paid for. Really hard to keep straight, hard to feel confident about direction of letter, and most of all, even with a decent amount of force it was hard to indent the enclosure.
Have to admit that those who get it to work do make it look very cool.

muddyfox

Tremster

Fairfield does it right.

You have to absolutely make sure that you put something inside the enclosure, a block of wood or an anvil or something, and that the two won't move at all, no matter how hard you hammer, otherwise the letters won't punch deep enough and you'll dent and deform the enclosure.
Like my Egghead  :(

gordo

All of the above. A bit of something real solid helps avoid deforming the box. When I used them it ended up looking more like a ransom note....
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?