News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tube driver power pulse/pop

Started by AntKnee, April 18, 2015, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I just hooked my TH Custom tube driver up to my test rig, and it worked, but was very quiet. I pulled it off, reflowed and checked for bridges. When I hooked it back up to test again, the power pulses at a rate of about 4 times a second, The LED in the tube socket flashes like its on an LFO. I haven't taken voltages because I'm afraid it will hurt it to connect power for long. I did try another test rig, just to be sure, and it is the circuit, not the rig.

Also had a couple questions on this build...
1. Which way does the voltage regulator orient? It is cropped out of the pictures on the build doc, and I guessed at it.
2. Whats with the omitted components? R2, R9, R24 and C18 were left empty because I didn't know what to put there. The build doc just omits mention of them, or has "--" where the value should be.

Thanks.

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

AntKnee

I'm now seeing that my use of 40106BE may be a problem. Build doc calls for 40106N.

pryde

Quote from: AntKnee on April 18, 2015, 10:04:22 PM
I'm now seeing that my use of 40106BE may be a problem. Build doc calls for 40106N.

I used the 40106BE in mine so that is not the problem. Triple check every diode orientation, then reflow everything around the power section (40106 and all diodes). Start with that and I can pull mine apart and get proper voltages for you, etc.

Thomas_H

There are two different things.

1) the led is directly connected to the 6v regulator, so the voltage multiplier has nothing to do with it.
Is your psu strong enough to power it?

2) the multiplied voltage can be meassured after the last multiplier diode. It should be appx 60 v

DIY-PCBs and projects:

AntKnee

Thanks, man, but no need to get voltages now. I decided to replace the 40106, but upon removing it discovered I had put the socket in backwards, which led me to put the IC in backwards. Oops! That issue is solved.

Now I am noticing that my bass knob does nothing and the effect is very bright.

AntKnee

Quote from: Thomas_H on April 18, 2015, 11:10:04 PM
There are two different things.

1) the led is directly connected to the 6v regulator, so the voltage multiplier has nothing to do with it.
Is your psu strong enough to power it?

2) the multiplied voltage can be meassured after the last multiplier diode. It should be appx 60 v

Why are the part values so different between the BOM and the schematic? I'm trying to double check my values and they are very different in some cases.

Thomas_H

Thats because the initial circuit is build with calculated ot default values -which is what is in the schematic.

Afterwards the circuit is tweaked to work better/sound better - thats what is in the BOM.

The BOM is whats in the lead when it comes to,values.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

oldhousescott

R2 and R9 aren't necessary, but you'll need to install R24 for the bass pot to work. The BOM calls for 220k in that position. C18 can be used to roll off some fizziness. If you install some socket pins, you can try different values in that position starting with 1n, or just leave it out if it sounds OK as is.

AntKnee

Quote from: oldhousescott on April 19, 2015, 02:24:24 PM
R2 and R9 aren't necessary, but you'll need to install R24 for the bass pot to work. The BOM calls for 220k in that position. C18 can be used to roll off some fizziness. If you install some socket pins, you can try different values in that position starting with 1n, or just leave it out if it sounds OK as is.

Thanks, mine is a bit fizzy, I'll play with it. As for R24, it is installed, but bass doesn't work. Does R23 need to be installed? It has no value for it on the BOM.

oldhousescott

Yes, R23 should be installed. It's not perfectly clear from the BOM, but R23 looks to be grouped with R10..R16 and should be 10k.

AntKnee

Quote from: oldhousescott on April 20, 2015, 12:37:43 AM
Yes, R23 should be installed. It's not perfectly clear from the BOM, but R23 looks to be grouped with R10..R16 and should be 10k.

Holy missing cel outlines! You're right!
I completely missed that.
Thanks!

pryde

Quote from: AntKnee on April 20, 2015, 01:00:56 AM

Thanks!

Indeed that R23 is crucial for the baxandal stack. I played a lot with the tonestack values to warm it up. Pretty happy with the results overall.

AntKnee

Quote from: pryde on April 20, 2015, 02:28:11 AM
Quote from: AntKnee on April 20, 2015, 01:00:56 AM

Thanks!

Indeed that R23 is crucial for the baxandal stack. I played a lot with the tonestack values to warm it up. Pretty happy with the results overall.

Do you recall what values you settled on?

pryde

So I had the tone stack caps socketed and started with a standard baxandall arrangement:
C28: 470p
C29: 4.7n
C30: 330p
C31: 3.3n

This will get you a dead-flat EQ in the bass/treble at 12 o'clock position with full mid-hump CCW and full mid-scoop CW.

Try these and see if you are happy. I upped C30 to 1n and C31 to 4.7n to knock treble freq down even more and kept C28/C29 at above values.

Tube choice is also VERY important as well. A 12AY7 or 12AT7 still had a lot of gain and reduces harshness.

The end result of mine with demo:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=20371.msg198804#msg198804

oldhousescott

You can dink around with Bax tone stack values using the Duncan Amps Tone Stack Calculator. Use the James tab (which is the passive version of Bax circuit).