News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Frustrating build problems!

Started by BillyBoy, April 08, 2015, 07:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyBoy

Reading the Rage Quit thread reminded me of a couple of times I had problems.  Sometimes (maybe every time?) they are really frustrating stupid things.  Here are a couple of mine – what are yours?

1.  Built a pedal that worked, but was noisy compared to the original vintage version I had.  Debugged on it for a couple of days and nights trying to figure it out.  In the process, tried it in a different location to use a different amp, where it was silent as a mouse.  Turned out I was testing near something that was generating a lot of EMF (big swimming pool motor on the outside of the wall) – everywhere on the planet except where I was testing, it sounded great.

2.  Drilled a hole for a pot that was a little rough, and had to touch it up with a file.  When I finished building the pedal, it didn't work.  Again, debugged for a couple of days, trying everything under the sun, including using a magnifier to look at solder joints, find solder bridges, etc.  At one point, picked up a stronger magnifier and found a microscopic aluminum filing wedged between the solder joints on a electro cap (those pads are really close together).  It was so small I couldn't see it with the other magnifier.  Dusted it off and it worked just fine.

3.  My second Aquaboy build didn't work.  It's complicated, so there's plenty to debug there.  Again, spent a couple of days trying stuff, to no avail.  Finally decided to replace the compandor chip, about the only thing I hadn't replaced at least once.  I had good voltage readings on every pin and no reason to replace it, but sometimes you just gotta try stuff.  When I took it out, I found one leg was folded up underneath it.  I was getting my voltage readings by touching the tops of the legs with my DMM probe.  So probably the only time that chip worked was when I pushed that pin down with my DMM to get a voltage reading, causing the bent leg to touch the pin in the socket.  Unbent the leg and the pedal worked fine.

#@$%^!

Bill Gerlt
Gerlt Technologies
Custom Rack Effects

EBRAddict

QuoteWhen I took it out, I found one leg was folded up underneath it.

I hate that. It's easy to do even if you're paying attention.

alanp

What will really make you break out in a cold sweat is when the leg crumples entirely (not just bend)... and it's a BBD that costs at least four bucks (at least), and at least a month's wait on shipping from USA for another.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TNblueshawk

Quote from: alanp on April 09, 2015, 03:45:00 AM
What will really make you break out in a cold sweat is when the leg crumples entirely (not just bend)... and it's a BBD that costs at least four bucks (at least), and at least a month's wait on shipping from USA for another.

Ha! I snapped one off a few years back  :-[ :( >:( :'(
John